• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger steering wheels.

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Ok so my car is an early 68 build so I think this wheel was on it. My buddy took it off a while back and I can't find it in his shop. He passed and I have since bought the car. I am looking at which wheels would have been on a 68. The brochure for 68 shows the wheels and the one I thought as 69 only in the center. The first pic is the wheel that was on my car back in the day and it seems correct for very early 68 car in 67. The second photo is the brochure showing the wheel in question in the center.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=59795.jpg

Capture.JPG

How early of a build? What I see is the 67 Dodge center cap. All the 67 steering wheels I have seen had a shiny finish and the 68's were a dull finish wheel. I would think the standard wheel for your car should be the one on the left in the second picture, but with Chrysler Corp you got what you got back then.

get the wooden one its cooler, have an original restored we won't tell.

How early of a build? What I see is the 67 Dodge center cap. All the 67 steering wheels I have seen had a shiny finish and the 68's were a dull finish wheel. I would think the standard wheel for your car should be the one on the left in the second picture, but with Chrysler Corp you got what you got back then.

9-05 build so September 5th. I read that the first couple months you could have the 67 style due to early build date.

Ive got this one that needs to be redone. Not in too bad of shape but just weighing my options.

B62DE655-3D8E-4E00-9DEA-9CBA301025AE.jpeg

9-04 build so September 4th. I read that the first couple months you could have the 67 style due to early build date
Do you remember the wheel itself as having a shiny finish or a dull finish. The 68 center cap will directly replace the 67 style center cap. With that early of a build, I would call it a toss up. Hope you are able to locate that wheel.

Do you remember the wheel itself as having a shiny finish or a dull finish. The 68 center cap will directly replace the 67 style center cap. With that early of a build, I would call it a toss up. Hope you are able to locate that wheel.

Wheel was definitely shiny black with the 67 style fratzog logo chrome center. I really liked that wheel as it’s decent looking and different. Hope I can dig it up too but if not I’ll either snag something at carlisle or have my wheel redone.

Ok so my car is an early 68 build so I think this wheel was on it. My buddy took it off a while back and I can't find it in his shop. He passed and I have since bought the car. I am looking at which wheels would have been on a 68. The brochure for 68 shows the wheels and the one I thought as 69 only in the center. The first pic is the wheel that was on my car back in the day and it seems correct for very early 68 car in 67. The second photo is the brochure showing the wheel in question in the center.

View attachment 735063
View attachment 735065
Everything is correct with the wheel in your first picture.......Being a 9/67 build I would not be surprised to see that 67 horn button....I have personally seen an original 68 charger with that horn button.

It would be a very difficult thing to prove but on the flip side it is hard to disprove it.....

Early builds always have some nuances and parts should not be changed to follow the "norm"......Unless it is something that is 100% incorrect IMHO.....

Everything is correct with the wheel in your first picture.......Being a 9/67 build I would not be surprised to see that 67 horn button....I have personally seen an original 68 charger with that horn button.

It would be a very difficult thing to prove but on the flip side it is hard to disprove it.....

Early builds always have some nuances and parts should not be changed to follow the "norm"......Unless it is something that is 100% incorrect IMHO.....

Yup my thoughts exactly. Now I just need to find that wheel in the attic or grab one. I’m thinking I can pick one of them up a lot cheaper than have my wood grain re-done right now plus buying a horn ring, adapter, and horn pad.

i got mine complete from 1970roadrunner for 550 no core. pretty nice piece, he restores them or he knows someone that does.

IllGorgeousDavidstiger-size_restricted.gif

index-php-action-dlattach-topic-59795-jpg.jpg

My car is a November build & here's my wheel....

charger-2-jpg.jpg

My horn ring is chrome rather than the later dull rings and as you can see, I have the padded horn button. The horn button in picture you show would be correct for such an early build & I have a suspicion that the black wheel may even be correct in very early cars. There's quite a lot of subtle & interesting differences in the November and earlier cars and cars built in December on.

I posted this thread here about a year or so ago showing these differences....

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/68-charger-production-differences.141108/

Check this one out too....

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1968-charger-****.140190/

Last edited:
View attachment 735121

View attachment 735122

My car is a November build & here's my wheel....

View attachment 735123

My horn ring is chrome rather than the later dull rings and as you can see, I have the padded horn button. The horn button in picture you show would be correct for such an early build & I have a suspicion that the black wheel may even be correct in very early cars. There's quite a lot of subtle & interesting differences in the November and earlier cars and cars built in December on.

I posted this thread here about a year or so ago showing these differences....

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/68-charger-production-differences.141108/

Check this one out too....

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1968-charger-****.140190/

**** man that pic I posted was almost identical to your interior. I remember that thread on the early differences an commenting on it. Thanks for the info Mark I appreciate your response. Now I just need to decide on the early wheel if I can find it or have my woodgrain wheel redone and get all the pieces I need to install it. Carlisle might be a good spot to comb for a decent wheel for a decent price.

Cory, I personally think that the original early style wheel looks very classy for the Charger and I would be searching out the correct replacement. I have never seen that wheel which I think adds to the oddity of the car. The wood grain wheels are fairly common and I guess that I just like the odd features that spring up now and again for these old cars.

Cory, I personally think that the original early style wheel looks very classy for the Charger and I would be searching out the correct replacement. I have never seen that wheel which I think adds to the oddity of the car. The wood grain wheels are fairly common and I guess that I just like the odd features that spring up now and again for these old cars.
I’m with you on that. I like the way the wood grain wheel looks, but if I can pick up the original style and not spend a fortune I’ll probably go that route.

The horn center cap may not be that difficult to find because it's a 1967 piece. What will be difficult is finding an early 68 chrome 3-spoke ring. As you can see, the '67 horn ring is a full circle. I have a couple NOS "aluminum " style horn rings, that I suppose could be chromed, but the raised faces of the spokes are brushed chrome.

BN-TZ838_MYRIDE_M_20170623144430.jpg

**** man that pic I posted was almost identical to your interior. I remember that thread on the early differences an commenting on it. Thanks for the info Mark I appreciate your response. Now I just need to decide on the early wheel if I can find it or have my woodgrain wheel redone and get all the pieces I need to install it. Carlisle might be a good spot to comb for a decent wheel for a decent price.

Here's the guy I used to restore a few steering wheels for me, both sold & wood grain.....

http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/

The horn center cap may not be that difficult to find because it's a 1967 piece. What will be difficult is finding an early 68 chrome 3-spoke ring. As you can see, the '67 horn ring is a full circle. I have a couple NOS "aluminum " style horn rings, that I suppose could be chromed, but the raised faces of the spokes are brushed chrome.

View attachment 735298

That first pic I sent you has the correct ring....I wonder if its the same ring as the roadrunner steering wheel used? I have one of them laying around in decent shape if that's the case..... Like the one in the pic below. I have that wheel in my basement if that ring would fit. I could snag a black wheel pretty reasonable and then find the 67 style cap that would go right on that. Hmmmm now you got me thinking....

68_Road_Runner-21.jpg

View attachment 735298

Mark, will that 67 style horn cap with the dodge logo go onto your style wheel in your green car instead of the foam cap? If so I can probably make due with some of my parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back