• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Coronet ?

pete2833

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 68 Dodge Coronet 440 R/T 4spd with no real rust on it. It has no engine or tranny, no interior, no hood or grille. Mainly just the body and rearend and some front suspension. What do you guys think of this car. Is it worth $4000? Also no fender tag or build sheet. Are the parts readily available to put this car back together? Thanks Pete

That car would have been built with a Dana 60 rear axle, if it still has that, jump on it. Otherwise it is impossible to say if it is worth it or not without seeing some pics. That car does have some hard to find parts and they only built around 1,900 with a 4 spd in `68. That is one of my favorites, let me guess, it's green.

I will try to add some pics. It was originally a gold car with black interior. Here are some pics. Pete

car6.JPG

Car2.JPG

Car3.JPG

Car4.JPG

Car5.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see the 4 spd. hump or cut-out on the floor or pedals, however it does look like there maybe a bracket for mounting a console. The car does look pretty solid though. Check to see what it has for a rear axle and be careful you are not being told that this car is something that it is not.

Ok, Thanks. There is no fender tag but he said he figured the car out from the VIN. Will it be hard to obtain parts for it?

You can not tell 4 speed or auto from the VIN number. Just if its a true R/T, year, and the engine size, and assembly plant, and sequence number. Buy the picture of the floor as best I can see it appears to have been auto on the floor. I would also want to make sure the body numbers on the quarter panel trunk lip matched the vin to make sure someone had not put a R/T vin to a coronet body. Just my 2 cents worth.
Matt

Be weary....That car has been for sale for quite a while now. I seen it up for sale at least a year ago. I know there was some discussion on the DCR about it. Someone else was looking to buy, obviously didn't. The car's in Oklahoma, correct? I understand people change floor pans, but Matt is right, where is the 4 spd hump? Strange considering it looks to be all the original metal for an automatic car. Coronet 440 trim on the dash. Easily changed I guess.

Like Mattsmopars said, I would ask for pictures that show the VIN on the dash, trunk gutter and the radiator support as well.

As far as parts, besides a trunk lid....shouldn't be too hard to find

Thanks for the info. Really want a charger anyway. Also, dont like buying something i can only see in pics. Is the price high? I was wondering why it was still for sale !!!

guys its a 68 the numbers on the rad support and trunk lip are going to be the sales order number not the vin and without the fender tag or build sheet how would you know if the sales # is correct for that vin. every one has there own personal limits on what they would pay my take on this car is IF it has a dana i would go up to 3k for it if not i wouldnt do more than 1500 -2k keep in mind your looking at almost 1500 for just the bumpers and hood not to mention the cost of the interior $$ engine, trans, driveshaft, grill etc.

Thanks, i will see if it has a Dana rearend. I thought it was little high since it comes with no parts !!!

The hardest part for that car and the highest unless you luck up will be the trunk lid. They are just about all rusted out and they are one year only.
A very hard part to find. Yes I may have been wrong about the vin being stamped on the car, guess i am talking 69 and up. My intention was for him to try to make sure what he is buying. He also said in the first post it had NO fender tag or build sheet. The floor looks to be auto console floor as best I can see in the photo, and if it was an auto car it had no dana 60 under it. My point is research what you are buying as best you can because he has no of decodeing the VIN to say its a 4 speed car. Be carful.
Matt

My bet is that the dana rearend is gone also,gees all the other good parts are gone...I would not buy unless I know what i,m getting!!!Theirs a reason it has not sold already!!!I think i saw this car on ebay a while back too..:edgy:

guys its a 68 the numbers on the rad support and trunk lip are going to be the sales order number not the vin and without the fender tag or build sheet how would you know if the sales # is correct for that vin.

Glad you're on your toes.......thanks for the correction Jason

4,000 is a bit high for just a particial body, no engine, transmission, and no interior. Who care what the vin say's. that's history with0ut all the running gear, and interior. 1,500 max the way is sits.

Have to buy a donor car or plan on spending bunches and bunches of money to put it back together. You would be money ahead to find a complete car.

Saying it a R/T is like saying my sister a virgin. She was at one time, but not now.

68 coronet rt

It could be worth it. Let me know if you want a complete, rebuilt 440HP with it's 4 spd

I have decided against buying that car. I am looking at a 1969 GTX with a 440 and auto tranny and center console car. It is all there including the fender tags and build sheet. Needs the engine and tranny put back in and it is onle 120 miles away so if I want to see it before I buy it I can. What does everyone think of the 69 GTX's ? Pete

Looking at something like that I would have to pass unless you want a garage project for the next 20 years.
If it was such a good car wonder why they almost parted it out?
Now if a guy had a nice running car but all rusty then it would be a good deal for a couple of thousand.

Auto Transport Service
Back