• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 DODGE CORONET500 TAIL PANEL

68Coronet500!

Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for either guidance on how to repair a hole that was drilled into the tail panel of my 1968 Coronet500. The person doing the body work said that because it's aluminum, it can't be fixed with metal work,

Attachments

• IMG_1190.pdf
    326 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
It can be fixed by tig welding but that rail panel is pretty thin. If it were mine, I’d go 1 of 2 ways.
1. Muggy Weld or equivalent. That stuff melts at a lower temperature than aluminum and would work nicely.
2. Since that area is painted black, you could use that bondo that has fibers or aluminum in it for a stronger repair.

It can be fixed by tig welding but that rail panel is pretty thin. If it were mine, I’d go 1 of 2 ways.
1. Muggy Weld or equivalent. That stuff melts at a lower temperature than aluminum and would work nicely.
2. Since that area is painted black, you could use that bondo that has fibers or aluminum in it for a stronger repair.
Thank you for the recommendation. The panel itself is actually in good shape with the exception of the hole so I'd prefer to fix it vs. taking on the restoration of the complete panel.

You’re gonna to repaint the panel no matter how you go about fixing it. Or just use some black tape over the hole and call it good.

is the hole on the painted part or the shiny part?.............nm, I see it........easy fix on the painted area, glue something over the hole from the back side, a little body filler and black paint, done

is the hole on the painted part or the shiny part?.............nm, I see it........easy fix on the painted area, glue something over the hole from the back side, a little body filler and black paint, done
That's what I'd do. Patch it from the backside, body filler from the front side, sand smooth and paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back