• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-1974 door sill plates flat, satin or polished?

mbc0724

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct sheen for the door sill plates? I've seen some originals that look flat or satin but many of the aftermarkets are polished aluminum--almost like chrome. Which version was original? Thanks!

Does anyone know the correct sheen for the door sill plates? I've seen some originals that look flat or satin but many of the aftermarkets are polished aluminum--almost like chrome. Which version was original? Thanks!
On my 70 and I’m sure yours I just give them a polish of mothers chrome polish

I believe satin is more correct, at least that’s the case with e-bodies

I don’t know which is correct but my old 74 roadrunner had the shiny version. They looked great

I have several sets that I purchased from Chrysler in the early 80's for both the E and 71 to 74 B-Body applications and they are a satin or flat finish. The Trim Parts reproduction sill plates are a bright shiny finish.

I have several sets that I purchased from Chrysler in the early 80's for both the E and 71 to 74 B-Body applications and they are a satin or flat finish. The Trim Parts reproduction sill plates are a bright shiny finish.
I thought so--any sets for a b body you would like to sell?

My 2 sets of NOS B body ones that I bought some 20 years ago from the Dodge dealer here are polished.

20241011_180333.jpg

20241011_180320.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know which is correct but my old 74 roadrunner had the shiny version. They looked great
For what it’s worth , I’ll add that it was in 1993 that the shiny ones were on that car. Not sure if they were being reproduced back then…..?

Here's a question: I'm pretty sure the sill plates are aluminum, not steel. Are they polished raw aluminum or bright-dipped anodize? If the latter, they won't be able to be polished after-the-fact, unless the anodizing is stripped off first. I learned this the hard way with the taillight finish panel on my '70 Charger, which is originally bright-dipped anodizing and can't easily be polished if it's worn-looking or oxidized.

Auto Transport Service
Back