• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Challenger Convertible 318 Production Numbers?

WS23RT

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
A friend has a 1971 Challenger convertible. It's powered by the 318 and an auto. The car started as BG2 light blue but is currently red. It also has factory A/C.

Depending upon where I look I see they either produced 1,857 or 1,793 convertibles.

After removing the 83 six cylinders and the 167 383 convertibles built, I'm left with either 1,626 or 1,607 2 barrel 383s or 318s.

Does anyone have the figures to further break it down or is the research I've completed as good as it will get?

Thanks.

Hey--WS23RT-- I would like to introduce myself to you in public because of the similar handle we are using.
I see you are newer here than am I and just wanted to give you a heads up about a few members that seem to dislike some of my postings.
It is quite possible that you may feel/read comments that are NOT directed to you but to me instead.--Be patient and know that this may happen. (generally, it takes a while to gain your own personal few that don't like stuff that you want to share with the whole).

BTW my (kinda) long-time handle over at -DodgeCharger.com- is exactly what you are using as yours in this forum. (of course, we both know what our chosen handles are all about).
Here is mine. :drinks: --And welcome to a really great place filled with great folks.

For those that might wonder?---WS23 is the beginning of the Vin for my car. The J is the engine code for hemi. The RT part is -not- in the vin.:)

IMG_0091 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Hey--WS23RT-- I would like to introduce myself to you in public because of the similar handle we are using.
I see you are newer here than am I and just wanted to give you a heads up about a few members that seem to dislike some of my postings.
It is quite possible that you may feel/read comments that are NOT directed to you but to me instead.--Be patient and know that this may happen. (generally, it takes a while to gain your own personal few that don't like stuff that you want to share with the whole).

BTW my (kinda) long-time handle over at -DodgeCharger.com- is exactly what you are using as yours in this forum. (of course, we both know what our chosen handles are all about).
Here is mine. :drinks: --And welcome to a really great place filled with great folks.

For those that might wonder?---WS23 is the beginning of the Vin for my car. The J is the engine code for hemi. The RT part is -not- in the vin.:)

View attachment 856403

Thanks. I'm not worried about anyone. Everyone has their own opinions. That's a sweet ride you have there!

20180729_184621.jpg
I have one of the 71 318 Challenger convertibles,It was red with a white power top,power windows,AC,and a white interior originally. It is now GB3 basin street blue,AKA Petty blue,with a black top,and interior,and it has a 71 HP 383 magnum from an N code Charger SE.

Last edited:
We might need the vin. There are some verts listed separately in my book but no 318's There are 318's listed by transmission in another group but combined with hardtops and verts.

View attachment 856700 I have one of the 71 318 Challenger convertibles,It was red with a white power top,power windows,AC,and a white interior originally. It is now GB3 basin street blue,AKA Petty blue,with a black top,and interior,and it has a 71 HP 383 magnum from an N code Charger SE.

Beautiful Challenger you have there!

Here's my friends car. The front clip is off for some freshening up.
20191026_114852.jpg
20191026_114924.jpg

My car was the same color combo originally as your friends car is. When I bought my car it had been hit hard in the left front. I replaced the whole front clip from the transmission / tortion bar crossmember forward.

Many many years ago I had a 71 B-5 blue white interior and white top 318 3 speed... Changed hands and ended up at Chrysler's at Carlisle about 15 plus years ago as a gutted body for sale with parts. Don't know whatever happened to it from there...

To my knowledge, production numbers for '71 Challengers aren't broken down further. Just X number of six cylinder convertible cars & X number of V8 convertible cars. Any further breakdown is someone trying to back calculate using percentages of certain options sold which isn't accurate.

What I can tell you is the survival rate of convertibles is actually pretty high. I have a list of 2.5% of all '71 Challenger VINs (about 1 VIN for every 250 built). Of all those I have currently, 29% are convertibles.

This is probably because the car cost a lot when new & would obviously suffer if left out in the elements. So, people probably took better care of them over a typical hardtop car.

As for total number of Challenger converts built for '71, likely over 2000 since the number of export cars isn't known.

If you're worried about the "1 of 1" thing, don't. Every friggin' E-body is pretty much a "1of 1" because of the crap-load of options and since they were such a sales flop.

To my knowledge, production numbers for '71 Challengers aren't broken down further. Just X number of six cylinder convertible cars & X number of V8 convertible cars. Any further breakdown is someone trying to back calculate using percentages of certain options sold which isn't accurate.

What I can tell you is the survival rate of convertibles is actually pretty high. I have a list of 2.5% of all '71 Challenger VINs (about 1 VIN for every 250 built). Of all those I have currently, 29% are convertibles.

This is probably because the car cost a lot when new & would obviously suffer if left out in the elements. So, people probably took better care of them over a typical hardtop car.

As for total number of Challenger converts built for '71, likely over 2000 since the number of export cars isn't known.

If you're worried about the "1 of 1" thing, don't. Every friggin' E-body is pretty much a "1of 1" because of the crap-load of options and since they were such a sales flop.

Not worried about 1 of 1. He just knew they didn't build a whole bunch and wanted to know the 318 breakdown.

They seem to have breakdowns on the slant 6 cars,the 340 cars,and the N code 383 cars,so the rest have to be either L code 383 cars,or 318 cars. I would guess that three quarters of them are 318 cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back