• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1971 satellite suspension parts.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a set of torsion bars for a big block 1971 Satellite. This is not my car but apparently my friend took it to an alignment shop and they said it needed torsion bars and lower control arms. I guess if anyone has these parts shoot me a price shipped to 30157 I may just rebuild the lower control arms and buy the brace kit and weld those on. But may consider a good set rather than rebuilding. Everything else in the steering is new. Tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm and ball joints.

I'd be suspicious of a "needs T bars" claim.

How did they reach that conclusion?

Do they know how to adjust them?

A little suspicious on the LCA claim as well.

Probably a "Commission" driven recommendation...

I was thinking the same thing. I told him I can rebuild the lower control arms and that may happen. But I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion on the torsion bars. He did mention that they said it was lower on the driver side. And that was why the alignment was weird. I think I will have him bring the car back over here and let me go through the lower control arms and check out the ride height on the torsion bars. When I installed the steering parts I didn't think it needed anything upper control arm wise. But the next time I saw the car it had adjustable uppers on it. And he tried to blame me for the front brake caliper missing a bolt. I was like dude you need to talk to whoever installed those upper control arms.

Anyhow the car is a 383 car so I assume by me dropping the 440 in it should not have made a torsion bar difference. I assume all big block torsion bars are the same. I will have to get the numbers off the torsion bars.

Lower on one side??

Turn the adjuster.

IMO- find a different shop.

I was thinking the same thing. I told him I can rebuild the lower control arms and that may happen. But I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion on the torsion bars. He did mention that they said it was lower on the driver side. And that was why the alignment was weird. I think I will have him bring the car back over here and let me go through the lower control arms and check out the ride height on the torsion bars. When I installed the steering parts I didn't think it needed anything upper control arm wise. But the next time I saw the car it had adjustable uppers on it. And he tried to blame me for the front brake caliper missing a bolt. I was like dude you need to talk to whoever installed those upper control arms.

Anyhow the car is a 383 car so I assume by me dropping the 440 in it should not have made a torsion bar difference. I assume all big block torsion bars are the same. I will have to get the numbers off the torsion bars.
I’m looking at my 71 FSM and it shows the torsion bar diameter for a 383 to be .88” vs a 440 being .92” so there is a difference.

I would bet if there is a problem, it would be the lower control arm bushing. The diameter of the torsion bars only changes the spring rate, and has no effect on alignment.

I think Ill have the car here on Saturday to confirm the situation. I have not seen the car since I installed a PST idler arm. The Chinesium one "moog" failed horribly and very quickly. The PST unit is nice and works well. I will check out the lower control arm pivot bushings for sure.

Find an "old school" alignment shop! Midas and other chains have have hacks that are barely better than trained monkeys. Took my Satellite to them 3 time to try to get the alignment right and they kept insisting I needed adjustable uppers to get it right. I asked around at car shows and they advised an old school shop in town. (Weber in West Palm Beach). The mechanic pulled it in and looked it over before touching it and noticed that the passenger side frame rail was twisted. I had a body shop straighten it then brought it back for the alignment and it was perfect.

Auto Transport Service
Back