• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Oil Pressure Sending Unit

AFT1973

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. Trying to swap out the oil pressure sending unit on a ‘73 RR 400. Issue is the 9/16 wrench fitting has been rounded off before i “inherited” it. Any creative ideas? I tried to get a 14mm wrench on it, but wouldn’t slip on. Didn’t try any “gentle” persuasion yet. Wanted to ask first. See pic for photo of type of sender im working with.

Thanks

IMG_1382.jpeg

Hi all. Trying to swap out the oil pressure sending unit on a ‘73 RR 400. Issue is the 9/16 wrench fitting has been rounded off before i “inherited” it. Any creative ideas? I tried to get a 14mm wrench on it, but wouldn’t slip on. Didn’t try any “gentle” persuasion yet. Wanted to ask first. See pic for photo of type of sender im working with.

Thanks

View attachment 1717106
If you have an old leather belt, try wrapping it around the body seam and pinch the ends up tight with some vice-grips....then try turning it.

Works the same way as an oil filter strap wrench.

If you have an old leather belt, try wrapping it around the body seam and pinch the ends up tight with some vice-grips....then try turning it.

Works the same way as an oil filter strap wrench.
Will try this weekend.

Hey all. Tried a strap wrench and vice grips. Strap wrench got the top brass dome to spin. But not the shaft. No love with the vice grips either.

Thinking may have to seperate head of unit from shaft and then easy out the shaft?

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

At this stage, I think won’t matter destroy the top part to get all the piece removed… in pieces LOL.

At this stage, I think won’t matter destroy the top part to get all the piece removed… in pieces LOL.
Agreed. Unfortunately its going to be 105+ in So-Cal this week. So breaking it apart will wait for a cooler day.

Now that reminds me….. gotta get A/C up and running too.

Put some Kroil oil or PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak in while you wait for better weather.

Put some Kroil oil or PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak in while you wait for better weather.
Gave it a good soaking yesterday. If tbe forecast pans out, may be breaking this unit apart & getting this done once and for all this werkrnd.

Auto Transport Service
Back