• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner- Why NOT to do the ...

ramairthree

Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
dash cap option.

Like many of you with cars this old,
I had a pretty nasty looking dash.

035.jpg

112.jpg

Now, with barely driver quality 73 Satellite interior, no headliner, and wrong color/pattern buckets, plus a ratty carpet, a valid question is "why worry about the dash?"

Well, because I have little free time, and do my projects one thing at a time.

Dash caps are a third or less the cost of a dash pad, and in MOST cars just a quick clean and install.

However, for those of you with this generation B-body, I have to warn you about that wood grain trim on the passenger side.

It is held in by half a dozen phillips head screws. You cannot properly fit/install the dash cap with it on. And at least three of the screws, even with ash tray and glove box out, you cannot get to- be it a flexible shaft screwdriver, swivels on socket extensions, etc.

To really get it out right, you need to remove the dash. And in my opinion, if you are going to have to do that, just do the dash pad.

It is a better fit than the cap, will look better and last longer. Anyways, that is my two cents on this after my escapade.

It is not that it does not improve the look, just that if you are going to need to do that much effort just invest the extra cost of a read dash pad. Also, some have great long term results with a cap, others break them relativly quick.

DSCN4591.jpg

DSCN4592.jpg

some armor all to the wood grain, and ten minutes with a tooth pick and some model paint were all I did for the insert.

Last edited:
They're starting to do them in colors now too.
I've seen tan and blue.
I've had a black one since the only other option was $800+ and shipping.
I read on this board someone just got one for $400.
That's quite a difference.
Nice to see the gen 3's starting to get some love.
I bet you could take a trailer full of bulge hoods and dash pads to any of the big Mopar shows and make a killing.

I totally agree with you. I went with the cap option because it is pretty cheap and seemed fairly easy. I ran into the same problem with the trim on the passenger side. My wood grain trim still isnt in right, and i actually had to shave some of the cap off in places for the trim to even come close to fitting. Its wedged in there and i could only get a few of the screws in. I believe a new pad is in my near future!

Wow, that really looks sharp man! Great job...

Auto Transport Service
Back