• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Plymouth Feather Duster Questions

SaintJ

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I’m still learning the ins and outs of classic cars so I wanted to ask about the possible engines a Feather Duster could have?

I found a 1976 Plymouth Duster for sale that needs some work but I’m looking for a Feather Duster so I wanted to confirm it was one before I inquired about it. I ran the VIN on Hagerty and the first picture is what I got for the options this car could be and then when I ran it again on the MOPAR Decoder, the second picture is what I got.

The thing is that, after looking up specs, I didn’t really see this engine model despite Hagerty’s decoder giving that as an option.

Also when going between the FABO and FBBO forums, I’ve seen discussions about how the Feather Duster only came with a 225 Slant Six, not a 318 V8, so I just wanted to know if the car I’m interested in inquiring about is, in fact, only a standard model 1976 Duster rather than the FD I’m hunting down?

And are there any other ways I could distinguish a Feather Duster model from a standard if I’m not that good at recognizing the visible differences yet? Is there a code I should be looking for?

Thank you for your time!

IMG_5816.jpeg

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

As far as I know the feather duster was a slant 6 only. It was a package designed for fuel mileage. Slant 6, One barrel carb, tall highway gears, fuel pacer light and maybe a few more items. Nothing special.

Slant six only, I think there is a fender tag code but I’m unaware of what it is. Use a magnet:intake manifold, front bumper support, under hood support/brace and rear bumper support should all be aluminum.

Above ^^^. Feather Duster and Dart Lite. I believe had the trunk lid brace in aluminum too.
May have either slant six 198 or 225. Can't say for sure but most were 4 speed manual OD .

Above ^^^. Feather Duster and Dart Lite. I believe had the trunk lid brace in aluminum too.
May have either slant six 198 or 225. Can't say for sure but most were 4 speed manual OD .
Most were 4 speed od,but I have seen 1 3 speed and 1 Automatic, both on the slant six site many many years ago. Can’t make a claim on the originality but we all know how Mopar is.

What does a '76 feather Duster look like? Curious

What does a '76 feather Duster look like? Curious
It looked like any other Plymouth Duster, with the addition of 'Feather Duster' decals on the side. As well as the above aluminum parts mentioned, it also had an aluminum manual transmission case for the four speed overdrive. In all, it was 187 pounds lighter than the regular slant six version.
1725644519549.jpeg

Here is the fender tag on a 76 Dart Lite that I bought just to use as a stunt car.

DL 8.JPG

I don't think that I have a code book that covers a 1976 model but the EW1 is the white paint code, C6XW is an interior trim code.... A codes are axle packages in older models so I'm guessing that the A31 means a 2.94 geared axle, a package that the Feather Duster and Dart Lites were known to have. B43 looks to be manual front disc brakes. C56 is bucket seats and N37 is unknown. Y39 is Dealer ordered. Note that the car doesn't even have the R11 code for a basic AM radio! These were really basic cars.

Here is the fender tag on a 76 Dart Lite that I bought just to use as a stunt car.

View attachment 1722674

I don't think that I have a code book that covers a 1976 model but the A codes are axle packages in older models so I'm guessing that the A31 means a 2.94 geared axle, a package that the Feather Duster and Dart Lites were known to have. B43 looks to be manual front disc brakes. C56 is bucket seats and N37 is unknown. Y39 is Fealer ordered. Not that the car doesn't even have the R11 code for a basic AM radio! These were really basic cars.
Oh thank you, this is super helpful!

A31 is the Feather Duster/Dart Lite package. I had one. /6 4-speed OD. Did not stay that way for long.

Before.jpg
Engine.jpg

I was gonna say A codes can be "appearance" codes for packages, like "rallye", "Cuda", and A38 "cop"

Yes, they are "special" as the aluminum parts are sought after.

The engine pic is when I got it. The body needed work too. I did a complete repaint, suspension, 8-1/4 3:55 sure grip, built the engine. Added buckets, new carpet. Outside before and after.

Before1.jpg

IMG_2110.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back