• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba connecting evaporator canister to an Edlebrock 1906 AVS2

Diesel01

Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
I am trying to reconnect my tank evaporator/canister to my 1906 AVS2 but there are not enough ports. There are 3 ports on the front "ported vacuum", PVC, and another manifold vacuum port. I have searched and found that the "Carb" port on the canister can be plugged or connected with a T to the PCV line as the 1906 does not have a bowl vent connection. The "Purge" needs ported vacuum but I do not have another "ported" port to connect it to. I dont think it would be wise to T off the only ported port connected to the distributor.

Suggestions?

The little vacuum ports on the front are for the distributor vacuum advance, the one on the passenger side is for emissions controlled engines the other one is for non-emissions engines.

The little vacuum ports on the front are for the distributor vacuum advance, the one on the passenger side is for emissions controlled engines the other one is for non-emissions engines.
Yes and from what I read the passenger side "emissions" is ported and the drivers side is continuous vacuum. Everything I read is that the "Purge" connection on the canister needs "ported" where it only gets vacuum when the throttle is opened.

Currently, my distributor is connected to the "emissions" port (ported) and the "non emissions" port is plugged off (continuous vacuum).

My only options are to "T" off the "emissions" port or get some type of vacuum switch that would switch on and off with the throttle. I don't think it is a good idea to "T" off my distributor port.

Edelbrock Image.jpg

If you are going to run that carburetor you might as well cap off the canister. That is a non-emission style carb and is not designed or ported correctly for emissions. It needs a bowl vent which it does not have.

Have you tried the distributor on the non timed vac port?

I did not buy or install the Edlebrock, I got the car with it. I would like to put the TQ back on with the Lean Burn to be honest. Can somebody verify the way "the canister" works? What exactly does the "purge" port do?

Here is an interesting article on how I believe the GMs work. Fixing 1970s and 1980s Fuel Evaporation Control Systems

They recommend using a 2 port canister and a separate purge valve. So the Purge valve is operated with the "ported" vacuum and opens the valve attached to the PCV line. This makes total sense to me as this is how todays cars are but with an electronic actuated solenoid.

Canister

Purge Vacuum switch

So on the OEM canister is the "purge" connection a vacuum switch which when the ported vacuum opens the vent to the Bowl vent?

Auto Transport Service
Back