• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Plymouth Fury patrol car

cbodybob

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Ok I looked at this car today. It’s a former NC Highway patrol car with 440 engine. Three fender tags. I am friends with the seller. This was his patrol car when he was a police officer in a local small town. The town purchased it from the state after they retired it. Heres my question. He says it has a Dana 60. I told him i didn’t think they put Dana 60’s in cars in 78 & it probably was a 9 1/4 rear. So jack it up Bob & have a look. Well I trust my friends eyes as he says there’s a Dana under it. Maybe it was swapped in at some point. Or did the A38 package include a Dana 60 in 1978. So today I would have looked myself & taken measurements, but we just had that tropical storm roll over us & three days of steady sometimes hard rain & the ground is just too mushy. I would like to buy the car for the parts as it’s too rusty to restore and the Dana 60 I have a Magnum i would like to use it for. My friend bought it a month ago to save it from being crushed. That’s what we do. We travel around the area looking old cars to buy. Save & resell the ones we can. Part out the ones too far gone. Funny thing it may be the same patrol car that pulled me in 1978 for street racing. The guy I was racing didn’t stop like I did & the patrolman took off after him. My chance to safely get away. But that story is for another day. I’m all grown up & mature now. Watch my YouTube channel Bobs Classic cars & parts if you want to see some of the cars we’ve come across over the years.

IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6942.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

One of our members has posted this handy spotter's guide:

rearspotter (1).jpg

It would be nice if it's a Sure-Grip differential.

Ok I looked at this car today. It’s a former NC Highway patrol car with 440 engine. Three fender tags. I am friends with the seller. This was his patrol car when he was a police officer in a local small town. The town purchased it from the state after they retired it. Heres my question. He says it has a Dana 60. I told him i didn’t think they put Dana 60’s in cars in 78 & it probably was a 9 1/4 rear. So jack it up Bob & have a look. Well I trust my friends eyes as he says there’s a Dana under it. Maybe it was swapped in at some point. Or did the A38 package include a Dana 60 in 1978. So today I would have looked myself & taken measurements, but we just had that tropical storm roll over us & three days of steady sometimes hard rain & the ground is just too mushy. I would like to buy the car for the parts as it’s too rusty to restore and the Dana 60 I have a Magnum i would like to use it for. My friend bought it a month ago to save it from being crushed. That’s what we do. We travel around the area looking old cars to buy. Save & resell the ones we can. Part out the ones too far gone. Funny thing it may be the same patrol car that pulled me in 1978 for street racing. The guy I was racing didn’t stop like I did & the patrolman took off after him. My chance to safely get away. But that story is for another day. I’m all grown up & mature now. Watch my YouTube channel Bobs Classic cars & parts if you want to see some of the cars we’ve come across over the years.

View attachment 1729716

View attachment 1729717

View attachment 1729718

View attachment 1729719

View attachment 1729720

View attachment 1729721
This source says 9-1/4"

Virginia State Police 1978 Plymouth Fury A38 - Code 3 Garage

Auto Transport Service
Back