• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 fuel pump bad?

davek

Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
So Ive been working on the charger and was able to get it to bark, sprayed starting fluid in carb. So I moved to the pump since the tank was hosed. Ran a line to bucket and line to gallon jug to see if it would pump and to blow out any gunk. Nothing,turned the engine over 7 times still nothing. Is the pump bad or am I doing it wrong?
IMG_20221007_180500.jpg
IMG_20221007_180516.jpg

I'd rule out a clogged fuel filter first. If that is OK, then I'd suspect the pump.

Then, I think that narrows it down for ya... :thumbsup:

But, you could eliminate the tank/sock/pickup/steel line by running the hose from the bucket to the pump and then back to the milk jug. If nothing happens, then the fuel pump is bad. I doubt there is a problem with the eccentric.

When they sit that long Dave the internal diaphragm dries up and is no longer pliable. Sometimes they can be revived if you run the engine by hand feeding the carb and have the fuel pump suction in some fresh fuel for a few minutes. But even then I’d be looking to replace that pump. Sounds like you have it narrowed down to that.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back