• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383-440 hp camshaft.

gtxrt

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
how does the 383-440 HP factory camshaft perform and feel like. the one on 115 lsa. looks like they're still making them.

I put the Summit 6400 in my new 400 I just built. It made lots of low end torque but horsepower peaked around 4800 rpm. Check out Nick's garage video on a stock 440 he just did. it sounds like the same cam was used with the same horsepower peak.

The MP 268/284 .450/.458 HP cam doesn't run bad. I have one in a 440 with TRW 6 pack pistons, stock 452 heads with a valve job, CH4B Edelbrock intake, 750 AFB and HP manifolds in my 68 Charger. I would say my compression is right at 9.25:1, possibly a little lower. I regularly run 87 octane in the car and it does not detonate. The car has a 4 speed and a 3:90 suregrip. It does idle very smooth. It is a tire shredder. Punching it from a roll in 1st lights the tires up and they stay lit up shifting into 2nd. I don't ever shift it past 5,000 as there is no need to. It's not the fastest car around but it runs very respectable, especially for a stock, very basic 440. If you are looking for fast 1/4 mile times, a loapy idle and big horsepower numbers, there are much better options available. If you are looking for an engine that is reliable and makes respectable power, it is a good camshaft. It is the same basic camshaft that Mopar used in 67-70 440 HPs and very similar to what a stock 440 6 pack would have. They weren't exactly slow.

The MP 268/284 .450/.458 HP cam doesn't run bad. I have one in a 440 with TRW 6 pack pistons, stock 452 heads with a valve job, CH4B Edelbrock intake, 750 AFB and HP manifolds in my 68 Charger. I would say my compression is right at 9.25:1, possibly a little lower. I regularly run 87 octane in the car and it does not detonate. The car has a 4 speed and a 3:90 suregrip. It does idle very smooth. It is a tire shredder. Punching it from a roll in 1st lights the tires up and they stay lit up shifting into 2nd. I don't ever shift it past 5,000 as there is no need to. It's not the fastest car around but it runs very respectable, especially for a stock, very basic 440. If you are looking for fast 1/4 mile times, a loapy idle and big horsepower numbers, there are much better options available. If you are looking for an engine that is reliable and makes respectable power, it is a good camshaft. It is the same basic camshaft that Mopar used in 67-70 440 HPs and very similar to what a stock 440 6 pack would have. They weren't exactly slow.
Well said. A person could do worse than the old magnum cam.

Haha yep, the 350 horse cam...

Auto Transport Service
Back