• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine oil dipstick tube - O-ring?

69 Charger

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello, All -
383 HP engine: does the oil dipstick tube have an o-ring seal where it fits into the block? The Chrysler parts manual shows the tube but not an o-ring.

Thanks!

Press fit into block, no seal, no o-ring. Use some sealer on it. Good luck getting it out, unless you use a punch from below.

There is no O ring. The 3/8" steel tube is supposed to be a slight interference fit into the block.

Press fit into block, no seal, no o-ring. Use some sealer on it. Good luck getting it out, unless you use a punch from below.
Thanks. The rebuilt engine was delivered to me with the tube out, but with a crack at the bottom of the tube. I brazed the crack. The hole in the block is counterbored to match the flange on the tube, so it looked like an o-ring was called for, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the responses!

Auto Transport Service
Back