• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Member Shipping 741 742 489 Open Sure Grip Spool

68plymouth383

Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
I know this is an issue that's bewildered many people is how do I ship this.. Boxes typically are not the right size, I've heard of people using 5-gallon buckets, ice chest ect.
I ran across a solution a few years ago that was to good not to share with you. I ship the 3rd members I sell in a Lowes Heavy Duty 12x16x12 they cost $2.48 each here. Most people have a Lowes close and if not can order these boxes online. What sets them apart is the double wall construction 3rd members by nature are heavy and most boxes just are not up to task. I attached pics from my most recent shipment. Hope this helps Y'all out.

1727104163581.png

1727104185159.png

1727104207922.png

1727104239981.png

1727104264827.png

1727104292990.png

Good idea. Maybe a couple of scrap plywood pieces to stiffen up the sides and bottom also.

I received a third member in a five gallon bucket once. The whole side was split from top to bottom. Just made it to my door. It all depends on how the package is handled.
screenshot_2017-11-25-17-39-17-jpg.jpg

Yeah adding some 1/4" or 3/8" plywood 'inside reinforcements'
help hold it in place too, in a small plywood frame so it doesn't move around
at all

so it doesn't go thru that damn carboard,
which it will
the way it's handled, nowadays
it'd tear the **** out of that cardboard, no matter how many layers

they sell plastic/ABS containers, specifically to ship them in
thru like Strange Engineering or Currie Enterprises (?) any number of
or one of them type places I'm sure, maybe even Summit Racing

I built a wooden box around a set of heads once...... made it all the way to Europe no issues

I used to try to ship heavy die parts in cardboard, if there’s any movement they will break through.
I started building plywood boxes and never had any problems.

When going UPS/FedEx/USPS, I can only think of two issues:

1. will it weigh under the maximum weight-per-package? I think USPS is 75#, where UPS may be upwards to 150#. I think a full 742 differential weights more than 150#.

2. will the item be boxed well enough to withstand being dropped, from 3-4 feet, and not burst open? Unlike freight, the boxing must be able withstand some abuse, which can be really, really hard to do with heavy items. Think of the box getting bumped and falling from the rear of the truck at the warehouse. Will it survive this?

When you're shipping freight, you'll just strap it to a pallet, or ship within a plywood box. A much easier prep than UPS, for example. Most find going freight to be a big hassle, but it is simpler, in some ways.

Auto Transport Service
Back