• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

408 Stroker Oil Pan in a 1962 Dodge 440

Robert Barber

Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone,

I am building a 408 Stroker to drop in my 1962 Dodge 440. It’s a 1994 5.9 Magnum block. I know the 318 that was in it originally had a center sump oil pan. I have read where with the increased stroke, it can cause significant power losses using a stoke pan which causes windage issues using a stock oil pan.

My question is: Does anyone have a recommended part number for an oil pan that fits the 5.9 Magnum block, that will clear the increased crank stroke at 408cid and controls windage? Are there scrapers available that will work? Are there windage trays that will work? Or should I just get a deeper oil pan?

Also, I am ordering a Melling M72HV oil pump. Which pickup tubes will work with the recommended oil pan? I have read where I should look for a pickup tube that is larger in diameter than the stock version.

I have a 4"stroke crank in a magnum 360 motor making 402 cubic inch with a stock 360 Center sump pan and don’t have issues with windage or oil pressure flutter or anything really. You may be over thinking it. Your increase in stroke is less than a 1/4 inch each direction.

Do a test fit of the pan with your oil pump installed to see if the oil pump clears the pan. HV pumps will usually be taller.

I did make a baffle for the pan while I had it off so it would keep the oil in the sump under acceleration, cornering and braking which I will recommend you do as well, especially when using a high volume pump and stock pan.

Melling 72s2 for stock pan would is the pick up I used. Around 20 bucks…

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3680.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4220.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 4"stroke crank in a magnum 360 motor making 402 cubic inch with a stock 360 Center sump pan and don’t have issues with windage or oil pressure flutter or anything really. You may be over thinking it. Your increase in stroke is less than a 1/4 inch each direction.

Do a test fit of the pan with your oil pump installed to see if the oil pump clears the pan. HV pumps will usually be taller.

I did make a baffle for the pan while I had it off so it would keep the oil in the sump under acceleration, cornering and braking which I will recommend you do as well, especially when using a high volume pump and stock pan.

Melling 72s2 for stock pan would is the pick up I used. Around 20 bucks…

View attachment 1725533

View attachment 1725534

View attachment 1725535

View attachment 1725536
Thank you very much. This is a great response, informative and to the point. Many times I’ve posed a question and no one answers or this post gets in a tail spin and goes off the rails.

I am reading the “How to build big-inch mopar small block book” and it mentioned about upgrading the oil pump and pickup setup. On page 47 it also mentions “in testing with a 408-stroker engine, the typical losses due to windage are about 42hp with the stock oil pan (I.e., stock 360 oil pan). I became concerned for obvious reasons. It mentioned getting a deeper oil pan because there wasn’t enough clearance for crank scraper and because of the increased stroke windage trays won’t work. I was just curious about what others did to mitigate this issue, I know I’m not the first person to put a stroker engine in a ‘62 Dodge!

You can get deeper, wider pans with scrapers etc from Kevco. If I bought a pan I’d probably buy one of those.

Sometimes they don’t fit the best. Sometimes they do.

I figure with a high volume pump there is likely a lot of oil constantly ‘in circulation’ and draining back all the time only leaving 2-3 litres max in the pan at any one given time. I haven’t dyno’d before and after with stock and or deep pan to see if there is any real world hp loss but my *** dyno tells me the 402 hauls *** and boils the tires at will, including in between gears - especially with the 4.30 rear gears. lol

I did have an 8 quart pan on it but I didn’t like how it was such low hanging fruit. Had to take it off.

Good luck

Also magnumswap.com will be a good resource for you

You can get deeper, wider pans with scrapers etc from Kevco. If I bought a pan I’d probably buy one of those.

Sometimes they don’t fit the best. Sometimes they do.

I figure with a high volume pump there is likely a lot of oil constantly ‘in circulation’ and draining back all the time only leaving 2-3 litres max in the pan at any one given time. I haven’t dyno’d before and after with stock and or deep pan to see if there is any real world hp loss but my *** dyno tells me the 402 hauls *** and boils the tires at will, including in between gears - especially with the 4.30 rear gears. lol

I did have an 8 quart pan on it but I didn’t like how it was such low hanging fruit. Had to take it off.

Good luck

Also magnumswap.com will be a good resource for you
Your “*** dyno”

Too funny! Thanks for the info!

Auto Transport Service
Back