• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 engine id question

Inspector71

Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I acquired an RB block. I was told it was a 413 Wedge. It has a turquoise four barrel intake that weighs a ton and seems flatter than the later 383 intakes. I've been told it's probably a late 60s or early 70s motor home block (I've got the heads, crank, pistons, etc. too). So I looked at the block number today. It reads 1852029. According to several books, this is a 62 Max Wedge block. Does this sound correct? I realize several forum members have advised against putting money into a 413 due to the limited selection in and cost of pistons but I've always liked the 413 and 426 Wedge blocks. If this is the real deal, I'd like to find the dual 4 barrel carb set up for which it was famous. Any info on this block number would be appreciated.

Also shows as a truck engine 1959 to 1962 casting # .
I am not saying yours is a truck engine.

I had a 65 Belvedere with a 413 in it, and it ran great! Was a strip only car, and ran low 12s at 5400 feet. I used 67 440 heads, the 915, with a TM 7 intake. Those max wedge heads and intake are out there, but hard to locate. Then you better be ready to shell out some bucks to buy a set up with carbs and linkage. C Ya

Thanks folks

How would I be able to tell if it was a Max Wedge or truck motor? It has the heads and I believe I have the valve covers as well. If it turns out to be a Max Wedge motor can I expect that the heads are Max wedge? Yeah, I've read about the expense but before I die, just this once...

How would I be able to tell if it was a Max Wedge or truck motor? It has the heads and I believe I have the valve covers as well. If it turns out to be a Max Wedge motor can I expect that the heads are Max wedge? Yeah, I've read about the expense but before I die, just this once...

What is stamped on the engine pad? What are the casting numbers on the heads?

If it has a 4 barrel intake, then its not a max wedge. They have much bigger ports than a stock 413. Try typing in 413 on google, and see what comes up. I think you can access about any block, head or engine i d numbers if you look the right spot.

About 20 years ago I acquired an RB block. I was told it was a 413 Wedge. It has a turquoise four barrel intake that weighs a ton and seems flatter than the later 383 intakes.

*what do the valve covers look like? 4 or 6 holes to fasten?
*it should weight 640lbs complete.

*i think.:eusa_think:

Looks like Chrysler re released the max wedge heads awhile back. Just type Max Wedge Heads on your search bar. Shows some pics of new iron heads, really cool lookin. The last 3 nos on the head are 518. Far as the block I D goes, the engine pad to the right of the dist mount will have some numbers stamped on it. Post those numbers here and maybe some one has info on it.

Here is what I can tell you

The location of the 413, and a 383 block in the corner of my garage between two non-running cars with flat tires made it difficult to see anything. I had to roll up my sleeves and get them out which is a story unto itself which I will post. After much work involving car jacking, pulling, dragging, a 68 Charger front bumper falling from a shelf onto my back, I got it out. Oh no, it was the 383. I had to start over again. Several hours later I found this. It has a 62 413 block number. The clock and time on the side of the block read 1964. The ID pad reads "A413" which would mean a 1965 413. The numbers under these read 7 15 and that is what I have so far. The heads are still in the back and easy to get to. They are pretty dirty and I am beat. Later this week I will get them out, degrease them, and check them against the Carrol Shelby Chrsyler book I have. According to the books I have, for Plymouth and Dodge, there would have been no passenger car 413 4-barrel in 1965. But, Chrysler did install the 413 (4-barrel 360 hp) in their 300 models in 1965. The pictures, a turquoise motor with the wide turquoise 4 barrel intake on the 65 300, look like what I have. It appears the 413 was standard in the 300L and optional in the non-letter 300s for 65. Why does an engine cast in 1964 (it has a dash followed by a 3 at the end of the block casting number) have a 62 block number? I don't know. My dreams of finding a cross ram Max Wedge are over (for now) but it has been fun learning about these motors. Thanks for the help. I'll do my best to get to the heads this week and give you all the part numbers.

I had a friend put a cross ram set up on a 440, and it ran really fast! Seems like high 11s in a Valiant. So even though you dont find one in your garage, they are out there. The hot set up today is a 440 crank, 3.75 " stroke in a low deck 383 or 400 block. Put one In a 383, you would then have a 426. Since you already have the parts, why not consider that? Use that 413 crank and rods, in the 383 block! Puts the rod up further in the piston, at about the oil ring bottom. Ala Small block Chevy! And you talk about quick revving and monster torque, you got it. Just a thought. C Ya

Garys1969RR

Road Runner? How does it feel to drive one of the coolest cars ever made? Great ideas. I hae a 383 block that was bored 40 over and a stock one from a 69 Sport Satellite. For now I'm considering stroking the 383 to a 426 to 438 with aluminum heads and intake, good cam set up and headers topped off with a 383 4 barrel pie tin. I had a friend who had a black 69 Road Runner 383 4 speed that was fast. People used to ask him what he had "in there" and he'd say 383 and they would go "Oh" sounding disappointed. I aim to avenge his honor.

The heads

I couldn't read what was under the valve cover. Too much grunge. I found the two fake number plates, partial numbers, a cluster of round bumps, and maybe more I can't read. I flipped it over and this is the casting number for the head as plain as day:

2406518-2

Well you may be in luck then. One thing should tell you for sure. Does it have a heat cross over passage? The Max wedge heads didn't have one! And the ports are larger than stock ones. Yea the RR is great to drive. Got rained out at the track last week, but will try again soon. Hey do you happen to know a Luke Morgan? Think he lives in Lebanon, Mo. Used to live in Eunice. Any way let us know on the heads! Good luck.

'62 Max-Wedge Heads--2402286--413 Cubes--Stage I
'63 Max-Wedge Heads--2463209--426 Cubes--Stage II
'64 Max-Wedge heads--2406518--426 Cubes--Stage III

It's Gotta Have 2.08 Intake Valves And 1.88 Exhaust Valves And Reliefs Cut Into The Block To Be Real Max-Wedge Heads! Any Other 413 Or 426 Heads Are Street Wedge, Passenger, Or Truck Block Heads!

Auto Transport Service
Back