• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Cross Ram Carbs For Street Use

Odd Rod

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
IMG_5229.jpeg

Which carbs provide a balance of easy start, street use and "good" performance for a cross ram 426? I do not know the internals of the motor, but I do have a dyne sheet which shows the Hemi put out 558HP @ 5700 RPM and 533 Ft/Lbs at 5400 RPM with a single four barrel carb. The current carbs are Holley 4235 & 4236 carbs with no chokes. It takes at least five minutes to get the motor warmed up and idling. The motor consistently back fires and runs rough both at idle and while driving. I have 20 degrees advance timing in the motor. I have tried adjusting float levels with little to no success. But the motor seems to getting fuel and running rich when it should not. I appreciate the originality of the 4235 and 4236 Holleys, but I am looking for advice on a much more steerable carb setup with chokes. The other concern is to minimize any modifications to the linkage. Thanks in advance for any guidance on a good perfroming, streetable carb set.

It sounds like you have bad power valves. Your carburetors should work fine in the street. There might be a check-ball you can add into the baseplates to stop breaking power valves (?).

Those are the carbs that were made for it. I wouldn't consider trying anything else. Nothing else will work as easy anyway. Throttle linkage etc. You're just going to find a good carb man to help you out. Sorry.

Holley vs Carter is like what is the best oil.. For me 500 Edelbrocks worked just fine.
No chokes,wired open,fire up, wait maybe 30 seconds,drop in gear. Worked for me..

IMG_1798.jpg

run a fuel regulator and turn down the pressure. Those carb will pump gas and flood under normal driving deacceleration.

ns1rm21's Hemi Dart and Barracuda started up really easy from dead cold (50-60 deg). He thought it was because there were fuel vapors hanging around. No vacuum advance healthy around of initial.

Auto Transport Service
Back