• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi

Davis426

Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
68 426 Hemi with lash caps hyd cam orig heads. keeps throwing lash caps off. Any Thoughts. Thanks Dave

8009EB4F-0D27-438C-90E9-86CC7E6AAD99.jpeg

4298E32D-9869-4357-B2AD-10F262BD97D2.jpeg

Hi Davis426, welcome!

We could probably use a little more info on your engine. Obviously not stock, since the '68 Hemi had a solid lifter cam, so what sort of changes are we looking at? What RPM do your lash caps come off at? What are your cam specs and spring pressures?

R703ac691311c5f751982ae2f1b324dd8.jpg

First wild guess would be not enough spring pressure, second would be lash caps aren't shallow enough, but I think that would cause a problem with the retainers not the cap.

It has been said many times, don't run lash caps with hydraulic lifters.

Sometimes lash caps don't fit as good as people think. People think you just put them on, but it's not as easy as that. Everything nowadays is aftermarket and has to be looked at. I've tried to put lash caps on Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads and they were hitting the top of the retainer. Don't ask me why the valves only have .200" tips. If you order valves today there's no telling what the stem diameter is going to be. You might get .307", .308", .309", .310". They make different size keepers for different stem diameters. I have different lash caps for different diameter stems. And I have several different size, length and depth of lash caps. It's a mess today. But to answer your question, I don't know why yours are coming off. If it was me, I would try to figure out a way to delete them. I don't want to run lash caps on a mild cam because I know they're not going to help me so that means that they can only hurt me by flying off or whatever. And if I had a problem I can't call Ray Barton for help because he already told me not to run lash caps on a hydraulic cam. Sorry I wasn't much help.

I have been told the same thing, don't run lash caps on a hydraulic. If a lifter bleeds down, you loose your adjustment and off comes the cap and bad things happen. Plus what has been said above. I am not together yet, but may set up ..my hyd roller like a solid, but no lash caps.

Auto Transport Service
Back