• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 distributor drive gear

69 rt

Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on why my drive gear notch won't line up parallel with my crank at tdc when I drop the gear down into the oil pump shaft?
It's off just a little bit from being in line with the crankshaft.
I'm 99.9999% sure my timing chain gears are lined up accurate- I checked them over and over several times before I put the cover on and buttoned it up.
I read somewhere awhile back that the gear sometimes don't always line up exactly in line with the crankshaft depending on the camshaft being used etc.
Does anyone here had that issue before?

happens on some after market cams.no big deal.just make it close and time from there.wont hurt anything.hell,you could set the timming from any angle,as long as the rotor points to #1 at tdc.

Thanks 67 coronet- that was my understanding but I wanted to be sure.
It's my first try at putting a 440 together so I'm not wanting to take any chances!

happens on some after market cams.no big deal.just make it close and time from there.wont hurt anything.hell,you could set the timming from any angle,as long as the rotor points to #1 at tdc.
This!!

:headbang:

I think what My Brother is saying is that we had the exact same concern on my recently completed 383 build. We literally pulled our hair out trying to get it lined up. After being informed as above that if it is off slightly, it won't effect the motor as long as the rotor points to #1 @TDC. Fire that puppy up. It will work just fine....:headbang::headbang::headbang::blob1::blob1::blob1:

often the slot in the gear is a little off from the crank CL, so as mentioned, get it close and proceed. Seems to me even the manual shows it to be a little off.

Auto Transport Service
Back