• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 finally cool!

ilm65

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
.30 over 440 with cross-ram has never run cool—had a BeCool radiator with twin electric fans—ran 190-195 on a cool day. Hit 205 and more on a hot day accompanied by vapor lock. Last ditch effort was to order a radiator from Bob at Glen-Ray. What a major difference. 88 degrees and humid today, went out for 30 minutes—ran 175-180 all the way—let it idle in my garage for a few minutes and it went up to 190. I’M A HAPPY MAN! THANKS BOB.

IMG_0953.jpeg

IMG_0389.jpeg

.30 over 440 with cross-ram has never run cool—had a BeCool radiator with twin electric fans—ran 190-195 on a cool day. Hit 205 and more on a hot day accompanied by vapor lock. Last ditch effort was to order a radiator from Bob at Glen-Ray. What a major difference. 88 degrees and humid today, went out for 30 minutes—ran 175-180 all the way—let it idle in my garage for a few minutes and it went up to 190. I’M A HAPPY MAN! THANKS BOB.

View attachment 1703629

View attachment 1703630
Bob is the best!

Same results here, my radiator from Glen-Ray works great too. In fact its better than the original radiator. When I had him recore mine I told him that I now had a 499 stroker in place of the original 383 so he put in a HD 3 core to replace the factory 2 core. Cool!

Last edited:
How bout some info on the construction of the radiator? Like how wide are the tubes etc.....

Nice to have it fixed, huh?

What fan does it have now? How wide is the rad, 22" or 26".

Agree 100%, Bob did my 26" radiator off my Charger and I could NOT be any happier! That car never gets over 190 degrees, ever. With all the problems I had with this radiator before he worked his magic on it, I would of never believed it possible. Cost is well worth the stress-free drive!
Bob is the BEST

How bout some info on the construction of the radiator? Like how wide are the tubes etc.....
Glenn-Ray offers a max cooling unit but the actual tube count and their dimensions depends on the application and overall size. As mentioned several times previously, the fins/inch count, (the WWW between the tubes) are the actual heat exchange device. Surface area, flow (both air and coolant) and their velocity are the secret to heat exchange and Glenn-Ray has optimized these criteria....btw most of his offerings are brass/copper construction. Expensive but worth the results. I spent $1400 for a max cooling replica radiator with the # 2998956 part number and date code, for my RS23V0A****** GTX. It performs exactly like the OPs #1 write up.....perfectly......
BOB RENTON

That's great news! For you and me. I've got a 26" Glen-Ray to go in my X!

Cranky, if you go to restorationradiators.com you should find the answers to your questions. I just purchased a 3-row Max cooling radiator (an upgrade from 3-row standard cooling), for my '72 440, and while I haven't installed it yet, the workmanship is second-to-none and it is an absolutely beautiful piece! To top it off, and because of my proximity to a recent show in St. Paul MN, Bob delivered it to me, personally! Gotta' Love That!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back