• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 oil dipstick location.

Tuco

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
I’m no Mopar expert but I think the oil dipstick goes into the 440 block right behind the left side motor mount. Mine has a threaded plug in that location. I’ve never seen a threaded hole for the dipstick tube.

What gives?

IMG_1867.jpeg

Last edited:
What is behind the left (driver's side) mount?

Sorry. I meant the left (driver) side.

My 68 engine has it's dipstick pressed into a fit without threads in it. The tube has a step in it to prevent it from going in too far.
IMG_1517.JPG

Maybe it was use in a truck and they didn't have factory plug, so they tapped it for a threaded plug.

My 68 engine has it's dipstick pressed into a fit without threads in it. The tube has a step in it to prevent it from going in too far.View attachment 1712143
Yea. The tube I have has a step or shoulder on it to stop it but it won’t go into the threaded hole. Guess I’ll have so sand it down.

Maybe it was use in a truck and they didn't have factory plug, so they tapped it for a threaded plug.
I was wondering the same thing that someone tapped the hole for a plug.

I was thinking the same. Mine doesn’t have an o-ring. But I could put one on if needed.
I put a small one that gets compressed and held in place when the Motor mount bolts is installed. Not saying it's needed

For race cars that don't use a dipstick you can tap the hole and put in a 1/8" pipe plug. Another answer is it could have been used in a truck which has the dipstick going into the pan so you have to plug that hole.

So I guess the consensus is that it’s the right location I just need to make the tube fit and seal.?

Drill the pipe plug that fits the threaded hole for the size of a factory dip stick tube. A little rtv to seal it and you'll be set.
Doug

Yea. The tube I have has a step or shoulder on it to stop it but it won’t go into the threaded hole. Guess I’ll have so sand it down.
Years ago, the plated aftermarket dipstick tubes were too big to fit in the hole. They didn't compensate the tubing size for the thickness of the plating, I guess they're still doing that. You might have better luck with a bare steel dipstick tube.

Auto Transport Service
Back