• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 power steering problems. Replacement?

68Satellite440

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Having problems with my pump and pulley alignment. Also the cars feel while driving is very sensitive.
My car was originally a 318 P/S car, and then was swapped in a ‘68 440.
Im not educated enough on these to know if this is even the correct pump/bracket/pulley assembly.
The pulley is 1/4 inch out of alignment with crank even with bending and shimming the bracket. Belt will not stop squealing anytime rpms are over 3K.
The bracket was already shimmed and was spot welded together when I bought the car and my additional modification hasn’t helped.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or recommendations of a new entire pump assembly?
I was looking at the Borgeson on Summit, but it has entirely different bracket. Why is this so confusing?

779E1DD5-39A3-40A9-85B4-C95FA6A63ACD.png

Last edited:
Burgman Auto Craft is a member and sponsor on this site.
They will have what you need to do the job. Many members have his parts/kits.

You’re on the right track. Get new brackets or continue modifying what you have. Washers, longer/shorter bolts, bolt “sleeves” (spacers), etc. Line it up straight and get a shorter belt if needed. You’ll get there

Auto Transport Service
Back