• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 pulley combination

1966satellite

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm building a 440 to put in my 66 Satellite and having problems finding the right combination of pulleys for the crank, water pump, alternator and power steering. Anyone know what works? Pictures would help also.
Thanks

You can't play mix and match here, they made all kinds of different diameters and depths. I went through this myself a few years back. You really have two options, either pony up and buy a matched reproduction set, or find a motor in the yards with everything on it and take all the pulleys and spacers. Power steering is what will probably screw you up, and if you have to dip into that, do yourself a favor and swap to a saginaw setup.

For my new motor, I got ALL the pulleys as a set along with the saginaw pump from 440 Source.

You can't play mix and match here, they made all kinds of different diameters and depths. I went through this myself a few years back. You really have two options, either pony up and buy a matched reproduction set, or find a motor in the yards with everything on it and take all the pulleys and spacers. Power steering is what will probably screw you up, and if you have to dip into that, do yourself a favor and swap to a saginaw setup.

I agree. You may find yourself in "pulley hell" with a bunch of mismatched pulleys of various diameters/grooves. I had the same problem installing a '71 383 in place of a seized '69. The '71 was a four groove crank pulley (A/C and all accessories) which I couldnt use (needed a 2V for power steering and alternator/waterpump). Tried to get it from Bouchillon, they told me up front that they couldnt guarantee fitment due to the million different combinations that you can end up with. I got burned on ebay a few times as well with bad repop pulleys. The tricky thing is that mopar made offset bolt patterns on the balancer in certain big block applications whereas others were symmetrical. I finally pieced together a good combo from used parts but it wasnt easy.

Your best bet is to get them all as a set from an existing motor, like Montclaire said. Or find someone who is selling sets of pulleys from a similar motor. There is a set in the parts section of FBBO for sale right now you should definitely check out. I have seen the pulleys on 440 source website as Beep pointed out and that might be a good option to get a set, they post dimensions and clearly indicate the changes through the years and look like OEM.

I think what you need is a 2 groove crank pulley (440 source aluminum will fit asymmetrical and symmetrical) single grove water pump pulley (440 source aluminum) and you should be set.

My 440 Source pulleys had the single groove water pump and P/S pulleys (non A/C car). The crank pulley was double grooved with the inside alternator pulley being smaller than the outside P/S pulley. Here's the 440 Source parts#:

Part No: 132-1001 - Double Groove Crank Pulley
Part No: 132-1002 - Water Pump Pulley - Non A/C -
Part No: 132-1003 - Power Steering Pulley - Saginaw w/Key

Alternator comes with its own installed pulley.

Last edited:
440 source here as well.i went aluminum but they have the steel ones as well.they do a nice job of showing the diff size pulleys on there site,take a look.

I've looked through FBBO listings for the last month and can't find the pulley set you refer to. Do you remember the date and what section it was listed in?

Check the listings from 68 superbee, he is clearing out a lot of parts in a garage sale. I think he sold the set already though as of the 1st.

I have a pretty large stash of pulleys and tagged most of them but after laying around for over 30 years in the attic, you can't read the tags anymore. Some have factory part numbers but many do not. If you can get me a measurement and possibly the part numbers you need, I'll take a look and might can help out...

As far as original sets go I do have one left but it's for a 383 a/c car so would not do you any good.

I used a 440 source engine front end kit on my last build:

http://store.440source.com/Engine-Front-End-Kits/products/16/

Everything worked great. They don't offer the kit with a single field alternator and won't break the kit up so I ended up with an extra two field wire alternator. Might be smarter to go ahead and upgrade to the newer alternator and voltage regulator in your 66. Here are a few not all that helpful pics of the 440 source parts in my 67. I was not intending to capture the pulleys and brackets in the picture so you can just barely see the tops. If you need better pictures that show the setup in more detail let me know and I can send you some. I know the air cleaner is wrong and the valve covers are wrong. If anyone has the right parts and doesn't want an arm and a leg let me know.

IMG_0738.jpgIMG_0739.jpgIMG_0740.jpg

I have a pretty large stash of pulleys and tagged most of them but after laying around for over 30 years in the attic, you can't read the tags anymore. Some have factory part numbers but many do not. If you can get me a measurement and possibly the part numbers you need, I'll take a look and might can help out...

Cranky, I think what I need is a 2 groove crank pulley with grooves centered at 2 1/4" and 3" from the mounting surface and a fan pulley with a groove centered 2" from the fan mounting surface. The fan pulley may be part number 37641.
Another combination that might work would be a 3 groove crank pulley with grooves centered at 1 11/16, 2 1/4 and 3" and a fan pulley with a groove centered 2 9/16" from the fan mounting surface. If you have them I would certainly be interested in buying them from you. I also know a couple of people in my area that might have them but I haven't had a chance to check with them yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back