• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6-Pack flywheel?

misterclark

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend get his '70 6-Pack's 4-speed sorted out. He has the cast iron #262 bellhousing for the 11" clutch but we need to acquire the flywheel. The 143-tooth wheels aren't hard to find, but I recall the 6-Pack engines being balanced differently. Does this extend to the flywheel? Can we just use a neutral-balanced piece? I'm used to regular big blocks and I'm a bit fuzzy on the 6-pack engines.

70 6 pack will have the 130 tooth externally balanced flywheel (and dampner ) and the 10.5 aluminum bell housing.

70 6 pack will have the 130 tooth externally balanced flywheel (and dampner ) and the 10.5 aluminum bell housing.

Can you expand on the flywheel? What do we need to look for? Is it special '6-pack only'? The bellhousing is not a problem.

Brewer's:
FW837 FLYWHEEL 10.5" 6-BOLT 1970-72 440 MAGNUM, 6-PACK RECONDITIONED
Reconditioned flywheel, original 10.5" 130 tooth ring gear, external balanced for 1970-72 440 magnum and 6-pack motors, resurfaced, ring gears inspected, ready to install. As available.
Price: $229.95

I believe you need a "Neutral Balance" for your 6-Pack application.
Both Brewer's and Mancinni Racing have them new in box.
Also, Bob Mazolinni Racing here in Riverside CA

Can you expand on the flywheel? What do we need to look for? Is it special '6-pack only'? The bellhousing is not a problem.

The correct flywheel is a 10.5 inch, six bolt, 130 tooth, externally balanced. They came on 70 to 72 six packs and 440 magnums with forged cranks.
The externally balanced for cast cranks are different.
Go to Passon performance or Brewer performance web site and they will have all the info you need and they also sell everything you need.

The correct flywheel is a 10.5 inch, six bolt, 130 tooth, externally balanced. They came on 70 to 72 six packs and 440 magnums with forged cranks.
Go to Passon performance or Brewer performance web site and they will have all the info you need and they also sell everything you need.

Not sure but I think there is a mod for the neutral balance flywheel in the MP Chassis Manual that might be an option.

Not sure but I think there is a mod for the neutral balance flywheel in the MP Chassis Manual that might be an option.

Yes, they need to be drilled to remove weight, I've heard that also, don't know how though.

Have to disagree with the inclusion of 440 magnums having had external balancing. It was the heavier six-pack pistons that required additional external balancing with the forged crank and heavy duty rods. All other HP 440s running forged crank and HD rods were neutral balanced.

The 383, 440 cast and steel crank models, and the hemi all got the same 4spd bell housing in 1970, it would be the 10.5" aluminum bell (not the 11" cast), same for (hp and hp2 440's, N, R, U and V code), this is the same for B and E bodies... I would confirm this with brewers..

The R code would obviously have the 8 bolt flywheel, while the U and V could would have an externally balanced 130 tooth 10.5" 6 bolt flywheel, the L, N, T motors with cast cranks would all have the same size and count wheel but in a neutral balance.

The R and V code would get the 18 spline tranny (in 70 this would be the universal fit tranny with both front and back mounts), while all others would have the 21 spline clutch and 833...

So if your friend wants to stay correct, he needs a bell housing and the U/V code flywheel... If he wants to just make his 11" work, he can call brewers and get the parts to do so, but 70 would not have a cast bell housing..

Obviously this is just me talking, not in the business of mopar trannys just conveying what I think to be true, I would call brewers to be 100% positive... good luck..

PS 1 more note, the v-code motor will have its own harmonic balancer on the front, it will have a weight attached to it, similar to the look of the cast balancers, BUT NOT THE SAME as that or the 4bbl HP carb,, its v code only balancer...

6 Pack flywheel

I'm helping a friend get his '70 6-Pack's 4-speed sorted out. He has the cast iron #262 bellhousing for the 11" clutch but we need to acquire the flywheel. The 143-tooth wheels aren't hard to find, but I recall the 6-Pack engines being balanced differently. Does this extend to the flywheel? Can we just use a neutral-balanced piece? I'm used to regular big blocks and I'm a bit fuzzy on the 6-pack engines.

Here is a sight that will help identify the balancers, and I have the old Direct Connection book from 40 years ago.
I will copy the page on how to make a 6 pack flywheel from a standard flywheel and I have done this on a flywheel of my own with no issues. Most of the flywheels were the same big or small block.

Jeff

http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

OBTW, many 440 magnums and police vehicles equipped with 440s had six pack internals. My 71 SE 440 Charger has this.

My original 6bbl car has the 130 tooth flywheel, the aluminum bellhousing, and a 10.950” clutch. This is not an 11” clutch, there are indeed 10.950” clutches.

Auto Transport Service
Back