• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 dash light question..

Dash looks great. Do you know what size the bulb holders are. Mine are missing and I see classic industries does two sizes….1/2 & 5/8?

Dash looks great. Do you know what size the bulb holders are. Mine are missing and I see classic industries does two sizes….1/2 & 5/8?
I don't know the sizes off hand sorry and it's all back together..

Some comments on restoring the buttons on my dash in my ‘63. After some trial & error having some mule buttons, found that using any products/cleaners containing alcohol was a bad idea. I got most of the cleaning done with warm water and dish soap using a toothbrush and nifty needle-pointed q-tips I found at a hobby store. Also found some needle-pointed sanding sticks at the hobby store as well, I only needed to use sparingly to remove the old paint that was stubborn. But, used them lightly to create a fresh surface for the paint to adhere. Masked off the edges of the buttons and brushed on a water-based white acrylic paint (also got at the store) flooding the indented letters letting it cure. After this, rubbed off the overlay with very lightly water dampened paper towels and q-tips over the surface leaving the white paint in the letters. I’m sure there are many other methods; but came out spiffy enough for me. If they get dirty again, I see it isn’t a hassle to repeat the process.

Here's a couple photos of the redo.

Dash Gauges 1.jpg

Drive Button .jpg

Pushbutton Transmission .jpg

Last edited:
Some comments on restoring the buttons on my dash in my ‘63. After some trial & error having some mule buttons, found that using any products/cleaners containing alcohol was a bad idea. I got most of the cleaning done with warm water and dish soap using a toothbrush and nifty needle-pointed q-tips I found at a hobby store. Also found some needle-pointed sanding sticks at the hobby store as well, I only needed to use sparingly to remove the old paint that was stubborn. But, used them lightly to create a fresh surface for the paint to adhere. Masked off the edges of the buttons and brushed on a water-based white acrylic paint (also got at the store) flooding the indented letters letting it cure. After this, rubbed off the overlay with very lightly water dampened paper towels and q-tips over the surface leaving the white paint in the letters. I’m sure there are many other methods; but came out spiffy enough for me. If they get dirty again, I see it isn’t a hassle to repeat the process.

Here's a couple photos of the redo.

View attachment 1661640

View attachment 1661641

View attachment 1661642
Looks great.. mine came out decent, the first and reverse buttons could use more light.. but not much to do bout it.. Your chrome looks great, mine is worn through in spots, didn't see a decent way to redo it, gonna let it show it's age

Looks great.. mine came out decent, the first and reverse buttons could use more light.. but not much to do bout it.. Your chrome looks great, mine is worn through in spots, didn't see a decent way to redo it, gonna let it show it's age
It’s the 2nd time I’ve had this dash re-chromed in some 20-years or so. Nope, not cheap; but spend a lot of time looking at it while driving. There’s a member on the forum that does this work and also provided new lenses – doing an excellent job. Last time there was a minor flaw and he re-did the job at no charge. While having this all apart, I also refreshed the gauges; gentle work.
This is in my ’63, replacing the ’63 dash liking the ’62 dash much better.

It’s the 2nd time I’ve had this dash re-chromed in some 20-years or so. Nope, not cheap; but spend a lot of time looking at it while driving. There’s a member on the forum that does this work and also provided new lenses – doing an excellent job. Last time there was a minor flaw and he re-did the job at no charge. While having this all apart, I also refreshed the gauges; gentle work.
This is in my ’63, replacing the ’63 dash liking the ’62 dash much better.
your buttons came out great, if i ever take it apart again i will have to do that.. BTW.. are your top and bottom shift buttons lightly lit? my middle 3 are bright top and bottom pretty meh

your buttons came out great, if i ever take it apart again i will have to do that.. BTW.. are your top and bottom shift buttons lightly lit? my middle 3 are bright top and bottom pretty meh
After doing the work, replaced the bulbs even though they were working, the old bulbs were quite dust-coated. Yeah, on mine the reverse and 1st gear buttons are slightly dimmer; but when pressed in they’re brighter. I don't think this is unusual seeing some other buttons. Never thought of trying LED bulbs when doing this work. Those worked great for my tail lights and in the console from another car with a light bar I installed. Just put those in the console over winter. Much brighter even in the sun as my ride is a vert. Wired it for brakes lights, turn signals, and headlights.

Console Light Bar.jpg

After doing the work, replaced the bulbs even though they were working, the old bulbs were quite dust-coated. Yeah, on mine the reverse and 1st gear buttons are slightly dimmer; but when pressed in they’re brighter. I don't think this is unusual seeing some other buttons. Never thought of trying LED bulbs when doing this work. Those worked great for my tail lights and in the console from another car with a light bar I installed. Just put those in the console over winter. Much brighter even in the sun as my ride is a vert. Wired it for brakes lights, turn signals, and headlights.

View attachment 1662290

ok.. cool my reverse and first buttons are working as intended then :) I did all new bulbs also.... I'm planning on LEDs for the tail-lights and front turn signal/running lights, LED's in the dash are just too bright

ok.. cool my reverse and first buttons are working as intended then :) I did all new bulbs also.... I'm planning on LEDs for the tail-lights and front turn signal/running lights, LED's in the dash are just too bright
Good to know as I haven’t tried LED’s in the dash, I know there can be a washout effect. Rarely drive my ride at night anymore as it is. Upgrading the headlights though has been on my agenda…too many other projects keep getting in the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back