• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 Polara opinions wanted

Primer King

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking for opinions regarding my '63 Polara. It was cheap ($600); but really, really solid with just a soggy spot in the trunk floor above the gas tank. Floors, quarters, and firewall are all spotless and original with the original paint (and undercoating, rare for a CA car). There is a repaint and some rattlecan stuff over the original fawn or beige paint, but it's still there. Car was built in CA and stayed there till the guy I bought it from had it transported out here. Previous owner was a GM guy and realized he was in over his head. The car was stripped with darn near all of the interior gone and a 318LA and 727 dropped in. I think it probably was a parts donor for someone before I got it.

Anyway, it was a 361 or 383 car with a pushbutton trans. Somebody converted it to a 4speed with all the factory stuff except the floor hump and left the pushbutton shifter in the dash with the cable just coiled up and ziptied under the dashboard. So I found and bought a clutchflite trans for it and have located a 383 that was already hot-rodded but will get a teardown/rebuild just to be safe (trans will be rebuilt also).

My plan is to leave the car stripped and build a bare-bones hotrod as I don't have the time or $$ to restore it back to a stock Polara and don't really want to anyway. I guess what I'm shooting for is a poor man's interpretation of a "factory" lightweight. It will see 95% street use with maybe a couple passes at the track just to see what happens. I want to incorporate atleast a 4-point rollbar and subframe connectors but don't want anything overly invasive which might detract from the value as a restorable car. It really is that solid and rust free. I'm thinking US Car Tool connectors are probably what I want? Could they maybe even increase resale value or be an additional selling point if I ever want to sell the car?

- - - Updated - - -

I did get the nose and the doors, they were all still attached when I bought the car. The door hinges were still kinda "stuck" to the doors with a greenish almost cosmoline kinda stuff between the hinges and inner door structure. I'm thinking they probably had not been removed before I got the car? Whoever hot-rodded it before I got the car swapped 65-later 8-3/4 in and they put it under the leaf springs. The springs are 7-leafs on both sides with 20-inch fronts ahead of the locating pins.

- - - Updated - - -

More pics

- - - Updated - - -

There was a handwritten note in the seat which came with the car. There is a December 18 1962 date across it with paint and body numbers that match my fendertag. Under that is hand written 413. Could it have been s special order 413 engine car? I'm guessing not because that would have been shown in the fendertag yes?

Attachments

• Polara 4.jpg
    Polara 4.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Polara 5.jpg
    Polara 5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 329
  • polara 6.jpg
    polara 6.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 320
  • Polara 7.jpg
    Polara 7.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Polara 8.jpg
    Polara 8.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 302
  • Polara stripped 11-29-09.jpg
    Polara stripped 11-29-09.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 287
  • 63 Polara fender tag.jpg
    63 Polara fender tag.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 290
  • Polara Paperwork 3.jpg
    Polara Paperwork 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 289
Looks like a good tinker toy!

Just needs carving, and replacing of some of the pans.

Good luck and you are fortunate that it's just the trunk that is rusted through.

Not sure what kind of opinion you are looking for, but I am finally finishing a 4 year build on my 63 Polara and I really like the car. Check out my profile for build details. I would suggest manual steering as I think the original ps setup has very little road feel. It is way too over assisted in my opinion. Good luck with your project.20150512_173321.jpg20150512_174449.jpg

Hop it up and build what you want. Don't think about what someone else MIGHT want late. You'll be disappointed. That being said a basic 63 is probably going to be worth more as a hot rod anyway. My 64 is all cut up. I wish I would have added subframe connectors to my wife's Challenger when I did it. Instead I worried if someone else would restore it to stock later, my mistake.
Doug

Attachments

• Challenger at Staceys BD party Aug. 2011.jpg
    Challenger at Staceys BD party Aug. 2011.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_3977.JPG
    DSC_3977.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 238
Auto Transport Service
Back