• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 727 Torqueflite question

FuryousFrank

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
A 64 Fury has push button shift, but a 64 Sport Fury has a floor shift. Do they both use the same transmission?

The answer is no. They use different valve bodies from floor shift to push button. Then of course there are Big Block & Small block transmissions.

I have a big block 400 stroker. I'm new to Mopars and trying to gain some info!
Then you need a Big Block Transmission. Personal if wanting to use the OEM cable floor shift set-up look for a '65 BB transmission as you won't need to deal with the Ball and trunnion driveshaft and can use a slip type yoke. You would still need the floor shift valve body. If you plan on a manual valve body I would delete the rear pump so you can run a newer torque convertor.. A&A transmission can help you out.

... A&A transmission can help you out.

Don't be overwhelmed. I didn't understand a bunch of what @QuickBpBp said, but I agree A&A Transmissions is one of the few places that will have the parts you need. They are a great bunch. After watching a couple youtube videos on rebuilding a 727, you may be ready to take it on, yourself. A&A will have your parts.

64 T'Flites were cable operated, whether they were p/button or floor shift. Same transmission, same valve body.

If you want a bolt in trans for your 400, you need a 1962-4 T'flite from a 361-383-413-426.

64 T'Flites were cable operated, whether they were p/button or floor shift. Same transmission, same valve body.

If you want a bolt in trans for your 400, you need a 1962-4 T'flite from a 361-383-413-426.
Not correct. I will be MORE specific the rooster comb is DIFFERENT on the valve bodies from Push Button to Floor shift therefore it is a different valve body.

Different Neutral Start switch as well. 1964 console shift valve body is same as 1965 valve body.

Also different throttle valve.

The valve bodies for a 64 floor shift model and a 65 column or floor shift interchange. The 62-64 push button valve bodies interchange. There are three main differences between the pb and shifter units. The manual valve, rooster comb, and neutral safety switch. Those parts can be easily swapped. The shift cable itself is also different. Swapping the front reaction shaft support and input shaft on any of these units will allow use of the common 1967 and newer spline converter. The 65 uses a standard style driveshaft vs the flange style used in 62-64. The late model drive shaft yokes need to be trimmed about 1/2” for use in the 65. The 62-64 units can be used with them correct drive shaft. Now a days many newer cars and trucks use a flange style shaft. So newer shafts may be easier to retrofit. I’ve raced these transmissions for years. Still build a bunch of them.
Doug

The valve bodies for a 64 floor shift model and a 65 column or floor shift interchange. The 62-64 push button valve bodies interchange. There are three main differences between the pb and shifter units. The manual valve, rooster comb, and neutral safety switch. Those parts can be easily swapped. The shift cable itself is also different. Swapping the front reaction shaft support and input shaft on any of these units will allow use of the common 1967 and newer spline converter. The 65 uses a standard style driveshaft vs the flange style used in 62-64. The late model drive shaft yokes need to be trimmed about 1/2” for use in the 65. The 62-64 units can be used with them correct drive shaft. Now a days many newer cars and trucks use a flange style shaft. So newer shafts may be easier to retrofit. I’ve raced these transmissions for years. Still build a bunch of them.
Doug
Thanks I only played with a few '64's, never compared those to '65 and never knew that.. Always willing to learn more.

Auto Transport Service
Back