• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Custom 880 Questions

64custom880

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just joined the forum, so please be gentle! I have been a long time member on the A body forum, but just recently bought this 880 for my dad. He had one almost identical to this car back in high school (68-69) and ended up rolling the car in a ditch. I have heard many stories of that car over the years, and when I saw this pop up I had to get it for him. I surprised him with the car last month when I was up at their summer home visiting. The gentleman I bought the car from has bought it from his neighbors estate a couple of years ago. His neighbor was the original owner of the car. I guess there were some kids at the auction who were planning on buying the car for derby purposes, and he wouldn't let that happen. So, he bought the car, drove the car home, and parked it. He realized he wasn't going to do anything with the car, and instead of letting it just sit and rot, he put it up for sale. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to get it for dad. Ok, enough with the story. I have some questions regarding the production numbers on these cars. I have found that there were a total of 37k 64 dodge 880's produced, but I cannot find really any other information.

The car is equipped with the optional 383, and the standard issued 3 speed manual transmission on the floor. Any idea of how many custom 880's built with this combo? Also being a 4 door sedan, I wouldn't think it would be a very popular combination. Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated!!

received_297610277253007.jpeg received_290117531335615.jpeg received_290111584669543.jpeg

That is a crazy combo for sure. I'm sure they didn't make too many with 4 door and manual trans. Very cool.

As a kid, we had a bb wagon version of the 880 but what stands out is there was some family friends who had a wagon with a 4 speed. I remember riding in that and crying because I was scared of the acceleration. Don't cry anymore!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I figure there couldn't have been many built with this combo! Not that it makes it valuable, but it has a huge cool factor! Do you guys know of any sources where solid production numbers could be looked up? Dad and I got it fired up while I was visiting, but the entire fuel system was pretty well shot. Since I got back home, I have sent him a new fuel tank and sending unit, a 4 barrel intake manifold, and a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb. He is just about done with the upgrades and hopefully can take it out for a drive soon!

I can narrow the production numbers down a little for you. Encyclopedia of American Cars:

20160810_113703.jpg

Last edited:
Well that definitely helps! I wonder why there really isn't any information available for these cars? I have searched high an low with zero luck. Thanks for the info!

You need to register at FCBO and "The Forward Look" forums. The 64 880 became a C body in 1965.

Auto Transport Service
Back