• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 sport fury carb to hood clearance

Todd Millican

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
B deck motor, am building 512 stroker (block still at machinist). I have an old, but nice dual plane weiand 4bbl. Manifold that i cerkoted. Plan on AED 850 carb. Wouldn't mind getting single plane intake, but concerned about clearance. I don't really want hood scoop, but will if mandatory. (currently at bodywork stage)

Street use. What suggestions for intakes work in this scenario. I think the offy might be too weak for spirited driving. TIA

Last edited:
I have a Performer RPM on my stroked 383 with an 800 Edelbrock and a drop base air cleaner. Plenty of clearance under the hood with no scoop.
65 Belvedere
IMG_0146.jpeg

Buddy of mine has a 440-6 under a flat hood on his 65 Fury...
IMG_5249.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5252.jpg

Last edited:
I've done 2 early Bs with healthy RB 440s - a '63 and a '64 - both ran Performer RPM intakes & Holleys & drop base air cleaners, still had room.

There was no way I could get a Performer RPM under the Ramcharger hood on my 69 Bee. Ended up finding a Holley Street Dominator single plane, and it fit fine. That is with a 400 based 493 stroker.

Auto Transport Service
Back