• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 trim restoration

joelrpo687

Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
I would like to know where to send my aluminum side trim for restoration.I'm finding out you need really deep pockets for anodizing.Polishing may be all I can afford.Has anyone had any luck with any of the restorers or should I tackle this project myself with easy off oven cleaner and my baldor buffer.I want to get this done before I die-at almost 67 I might run out of time before money so I'm willing to pay a fair price.Thanks guys

I'm in the process now of doing my trim with a 8" grinder with buffing wheels on it. I bought the kit from Eastwoods ( buffing wheels, with the different compounds ) It's coming out pretty nice. Just take your time and plan how you will put the piece to the buffing wheel.

Is your trim pitted or oxidized? Or is it mainly just a little scratched? The aluminum on my front end was all sorts of pitted and nasty looking....sanding from coarse to wet sanding fine grit did wonders on these pieces (headlight bezels, grille, surrounds).

The remainder of the trim around the windows is being hit with 00 steel wool and Mothers mag/aluminum polish...it's working great for now.

Don't know about side trim but I had a guy do my grill, headlight bezels, and door sill plates and they came out fantastic. Marcos Cielak King of Trim N. Hollywood, Ca 818-326-6924

Getting the trim done by someone else will cost a BUNCH of money. Take your time and do it yourself and you'll be amazed at how well they turn out. Now quit reading this and get that arm moving, lol!!

Yea the cost is high to hire someone because it is labor intensive. You do have to remove the anodizing before buffing (oven cleaner as you said). If you do not re-anodize after buffing the surface will oxidize slightly requiring annual touch up. Usually right on the car with elbow grease.

Has oven cleaner really worked for you guys? I tried this when I did my headlight bezels and it didn't do a darn thing....I had to sand all the anodizing and pitting off with 220 grit sandpaper for it to even begin to come off.

Use heavy duty easy off oven cleaner, and it works best when the part is warm, also leave it on for about an 1/2 hour.

Auto Transport Service
Back