• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 440 Fuel Pump??

markrr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to install a new fuel pump onto a 1967 440 and the pump will not go all of the way into the engine. It seems the pump lever or arm is too straight or too long putting the pump on a steep angle when the arm is under the pushrod and, the bolt holes don't line up. The pushrod inside the engine is all of the way up. The parts store confirmed that the part number is correct. Is there more than one pump for a 440? Here's a photo of the new pump and lever.

20240626_151651.jpg

Try turning the engine over by about a half a turn......the pushrod operates off of an eccentric lobe on the camshaft like a lifter does.

So by turning the engine over, this lets the pushrod go farther up into the block allowing for easier installation of the pump.

Roll the engine over by hand while a finger on the pushrod . stop when the rod is all the way up. Believe me, it makes a difference
Otherwise it looks right to me

Wrong pump, it's for a slant 6. Mislabeled or in wrong box.

Look at photo of a BB pump see where the arm is compared to post #1? You are correct it is too long and at the wrong angle.

FC5B243C-A952-4C85-B64C-4189606E66CF.jpeg

Keep your daughters away from the small block pump I guess..

This is the only part numbers on the pump. The parts store confirmed that this number and the numbers on the box are correct but, their website picture shows a different pump, the pump I need. I'm taking this pump back today. I'll post what happens later.
Thanks for all if the replies.

20240627_112439.jpg

The slant 6 amd BB pump look like the same casting with a different arm.

Of course their numbers jive, the problem hasn't been found and fixed yet.

Not the first time a manufacture has incorrect information on parts listings or messed up with supersessions.

I went back today to the parts store to return the first pump and now have the correct one. And this time I opened the box and looked at the pump before leaving the store. All looks good. I now need to install it.
Thanks again for the replies.

Auto Transport Service
Back