• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Wiper Motor Install - can you install the main link 180 degrees off?

dsd1967

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm reinstalling my wiper linkage and motor and once I got it all tightened down I got to thinking....how do I know if I got the link installed onto the motor correct....or 180 off.

Is the link keyed to only go onto the motor one way, or can it be installed 180 degrees off? I have no way to test the motor right now and it will be a pain in the arse to change it later down the road once I get all the dash and heater housing stuff installed.

Any insights or words of wisdom?

Wiper arms in the lowered position. Rotate the motor and attach to link.

But what if the motor is not in the home position?

I think I did what you said....the arms in the lowered position, but in the process I may have rotated the motor. I'm not sure the motor is in the home position right now. Is there a way to bench test it with a battery charger?

But what if the motor is not in the home position?

I think I did what you said....the arms in the lowered position, but in the process I may have rotated the motor. I'm not sure the motor is in the home position right now. Is there a way to bench test it with a battery charger?
It shouldn't matter, it spins and rotates the arm. When off, it returns to the "home" position.

Thanks for the feedback Ironbuilt.

I still think I could have an issue though. The motor travels 360 degrees to get the 90 degree wiper sweep. Home is a 360 degree rotation every time, and the motor has no idea where the main link is installed. If I installed the motor link 180 off, my wiper blades would want to retract first and then the blade home position would be at the full wipe position.

The first thing I will do is to look if the main link is keyed to only go on one way. If so....then it's idiot proof so that I can't even screw it up. If not....on to the next step.

I went through the 67 manual and found a motor test procedure to check if the motor is good. Between that and the switch schematic, I think I can get the motor to go to home position. Once I do that, I will know for sure if it is installed right or wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back