• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Sub Frame Connectors

ssyb19

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
I’m looking to add some subframe connectors to my 67 GTX. I am going to do it very similarly to the way birdsong did it on YouTube. I’ve included some pictures of a 2x4 set from bottom of rear frame to bottom of front frame, along with a pic of birdsongs method. I am using the top of the board to signify the bottom of where my tube will be to check for clearance. I’m assuming birdsong is using 2” tubing, but it seems he must have done some floor massaging to get them up all the way flush with bottom of the rails(you can’t see in the video). Maybe a 68 charger has slightly different floors. Has anyone else done it this way? Would greatly appreciate some pictures of how others have done it.
IMG_2231.jpeg
IMG_2238.png

I'm guessing he cut into the rear frame rails down low on the curve then butted them up to the front crossmember. slip them into the rear frame then jack the front up to where you need them. There's a lot of play in sheet metal floors. This would be the way to do it. IMHO the "form fitting" one's like US Cartool sells are a complete waste of money. AMHIK

On my 69 charger, I cut the floor in the rear and the frame connector is about a 1/2 above the floor . I put some high density foam on either side so the carpet laid flat.

On my 69 charger, I cut the floor in the rear and the frame connector is about a 1/2 above the floor . I put some high density foam on either side so the carpet laid flat.
Ok I like that idea. Helps tie everything together a bit better too, welding the floor where it’s cut out to the connector. Any pics of this?

The idea was i wanted to be flush with the bottom off the rear frame rail but still have enough height in the frame rail connector for strength .

I installed connectors in my 65 before cutting out the OEM floor pan and then fitting the new pans and welding the floor pans to the connectors. You can see the welds as the pan primer is burned at the site. 2" square tube was used. I did the same procedure on my 66 but, slotted the left side for the E brake cable.
Mike
IMG_0500.JPG

A 2" high connector is plenty. You could consider using a 2" x 1-1/2" rectangular but I'd step that up to a 3/16" wall. This would give you the extra clearance. Its a little heavier than 2X2 so theoreticall stronger as well.

Also, don't expect these connectors to do magic. What they do is minimal. For example, if you jack the car up on a hoist using the common lift points of the front and rear crossmembers, you'll be shocked at how much the car still flexes. All of that looks like it happens at the firewall. There just isn't enough strength there - even with the USCT inner fender braces.

Auto Transport Service
Back