• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 small block Z bar help

Belvedere408

Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Hey all I have a 408 stroker that is getting converted to a 4 spd. I got most the parts from brewers and some that came with car. I’m having trouble with the Z bar attachment to the clutch fork. Just doesn’t look right. The clutch rod to Z bar looks correct. Dougs headers. Thanks
IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

Do you have the fork rod that goes between the torque shaft and the release fork?
1716864988655.jpeg

I wonder if you have some miss-matched clutch parts. The pressure plates don't use the same throw out bearing assemblies. There is one for the 3 finger Borg & Beck unit[ oe] and two different ones for diaphragm style[ not oe]. On the diaphragm style, there is one for the raised diaphragm and one for the flat diaphragm. Did you get your pieces as a 3 piece set[ pp, disc, t/o brg] or did you piece it together? Also your second picture makes it appear that the pedal is already depressed. Maybe that rod is too long?

I wonder if you have some miss-matched clutch parts. The pressure plates don't use the same throw out bearing assemblies. There is one for the 3 finger Borg & Beck unit[ oe] and two different ones for diaphragm style[ not oe]. On the diaphragm style, there is one for the raised diaphragm and one for the flat diaphragm. Did you get your pieces as a 3 piece set[ pp, disc, t/o brg] or did you piece it together? Also your second picture makes it appear that the pedal is already depressed. Maybe that rod is too long?
The clutch and everything is center force. The second picture the clutch is not pressed in. I have a friend local ima go check his car out tonight see what looks different. My car had a hodge podge Z bar set up. So I bought the all brewers parts, now trying get it all right. Thanks for reply

Looks like my issue is my clutch pedal rod is to long. I removed it and it’s at 15”, brewers sells them at 13 7/8 so I’ll shorten it at work. Thanks everyone

Last edited:
So after getting a new clutch pedal rod and still having issues. Upon further farting with it, my clutch fork is off an A body so it’s to long. I got a new one on order now from Brewers.

You gotta love all the surprises you find as you're working on stuff. I can relate with my oil consumption discovery as to the cause.

Auto Transport Service
Back