• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Crank and no start

ZDECKICH

Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
So was driving to a car show this past weekend and the car left me started in the side of the freeway. Was driving completely fine for 20min and started to backfire real bad and sounded like the timing just went completely off. Turned it off and pulled over.

Got it towed home and started to mess with it. First I thought there was no fuel, but pump works great and getting gas in the carb.

Put a new coil in it as I already had one, and no luck. Took the distributor cap off to look at the rotor and to inspect and all looks fine. Replaced the porcelain/ceramic ballast resistor as I had one and no luck there.

My question is, what’s next that makes sense? Why running just fine to not running at all? Ignition module or ignition switch?

Thank you all for the help.

IMG_1087.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

Side note, car has a complete new wiring harness from Painless installed by them and drove it a few times since it’s been installed.

Do you have power to the coil? Are the points opening? Is the distributor turning when cranking?

I assume it didn't start when you got home. Amp gauge working? Me I'd hot wire to see if it runs, only run it for a few seconds if it starts.

Do you have power to the coil? Are the points opening? Is the distributor turning when cranking?
Yup, check for power to the coil, you have points & condenser so no ignition module to fail.... But that condenser looks suspect....

Check for voltage first.. Like Fran mentioned, hot wire it temporarily... Wire from the + battery post to the + side of the coil... That'll tell you if it's in the car wiring, the ignition or some sort of mechanical issue...

The Painless harness might have become a Painful harness......

You need to check voltages & do some part swapping....

Hard to tell from pictures but it looks as though the distributor lobes might be dry?
Worn wear block on the points?

Auto Transport Service
Back