• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Steering Column/Wheel Mystery

6T8 Charger

Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
When I bought the car, it came with an aftermarket steering wheel that goes on and off easily. Why won't a 1968/69 Dodge Charger steering wheel go on? I don't think the steering column has been swapped out, it looks original. Hopefully something simple. What am I missing?

20240805_092258.jpg

20240805_092421.jpg

The factory wheel should have a bit of an interference fit, and there is a master spline..
The nut looks original. It should go on

You have to take the steering wheel and all of the adapters off, then it should fit onto the splines.

Your steering shaft may not be indexed correctly. The shaft has a missing spline, and so does the factory steering wheel, so it can only be installed one way. Most aftermarket wheels do not have this feature, and can be installed at any location on the shaft. Turn your steering fully to the left and then fully to the right, to determine number of turns from stop to stop. Turn you steering wheel to midway point of travel. At this point, your aftermarket wheel may not be centred. Pull your wheel off to see if the missing spline on the shaft is at 12 o'clock. If not, something is wrong.

Your steering shaft may not be indexed correctly. The shaft has a missing spline, and so does the factory steering wheel, so it can only be installed one way. Most aftermarket wheels do not have this feature, and can be installed at any location on the shaft. Turn your steering fully to the left and then fully to the right, to determine number of turns from stop to stop. Turn you steering wheel to midway point of travel. At this point, your aftermarket wheel may not be centred. Pull your wheel off to see if the missing spline on the shaft is at 12 o'clock. If not, something is wrong.
I think you're right, I see it. It's a flat spot with the rest of the splines. Let me try to index it. Thank you!

20240805_094333.jpg

20240805_094401.jpg

thanks for the info,I have that same wheel in my 70 Bee and could not figure why a shock wheel would not go on. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back