• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet Heater Core Replacement

Hotrod20

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have to replace the heater core in my 68 Coronet, No A/C, but with console and bucket seats.
Can this be done while the heater box is still in the car?
Or, does the heater box assembly have to come out to replace the heater core?

I Really don't want to pull the heater box assembly If I don't absolutely have to.
Thanks for you input.
HotRod20

Box has to come out.

pull the pass side seat makes it A LOT easier to do.

Like gtx said, take out the seat and its not that hard. Mine doesn't have a console, so I am not sure about that. You may want to refurbish your heater box while it is out. Clean it up, paint it, re seal it. Also fix anything else under the dash at that time.

As mentioned, the whole heater box has to come out. I also pulled the glove box and the plastic passenger kick panel. Removing the console will make it easier and reduce the change of banging something into it.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I too obtained additional information from my trusted Michigan Mopar Guru's....
The console has to come out first.., then the pass side bucket.
Looks like a good Fall project while the leaves turn color.
Heck, I might have the heater working just before the frost hits.
I love cruises in the cool Fall air.
Thanks everyone. :)
HotRod20

If you get the box out I would order a seal kit and rebuild it while it's out.

If you need pictures I have one out of my 69 RR and can shoot you
Pictures. I have gone thru a couple of these. If you get the box out pull the control unit with the cables and bench check and lube.

Auto Transport Service
Back