• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX trunk finishing panel

kerbos5

Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
So I have acquired a finishing panel really cheap for a 68 Gtx it has some dings, two pins missing, and needs a strip kit done to it, does anybody know of a company that restores these, also instead of restoring does anybody know if it would be cheaper to buy a reproduction for 500-800 bucks. If a member had one they wanted to part with depending on condition I might be interested in acquiring. Any help in direction is appreciated...thanks :)

Most quality resto places will bang you $1200 to restore a good core ie. no missing studs. I had an original one that I thought was decent and dragged around Carlisle with me for a few estimates a few years back. The first guy said "Sure, I can do it, $500" Okay I thought, let me walk around. The next guy (Paul's Chrome Plating) said he wouldn't even touch it.

The big problem is the pits. When they put it in the tank to strip, the pits get deeper and deeper. They then need to drill each one out individually and solder them up before they can replate it. A good job is very labor intensive.

I have one of the re-pop ones and for the most part it is decent. If you can hold off though, I would advise buying one in person (likie Carlisle or the Nats) where you can inspect it beforehand. The ones I had looked at varied quite a bit in terms of overall finish.

Oh and the guy with the $500 quote - I Googled him when I got home and he had the absolute worst reputation for destroying peoples $hit.

If your chrome is good and all you need is the pins put back on, I re-attached about 4 of mine using the aluma rod "welding" rods, and even made one of the studs with it. When it came to the paint, there's a guy on e-bay selling the correct textured paint, from Canada. Found that less is better when using that paint. One coat is about good, 2 is ok, the 3rd coat makes it too smooth.

DSC02000.jpg

Thanks guys for the heads up... for the price I figured it was worth a shot, I picked this thing up cheap, and I got it today, it had some pits and some chrome flaking off I mean it is 40+ years old....for what it is its ok but not even driver quality....looks like now its will be part of the garage decor, I'm sure I can find a place to stick on wall. ;)

Along the same lines

The tail panel on my '68 has been painted silver. From 30' it looks ok, but when you get up close, it's pretty bad.

Any suggestions on how to remove the paint without damaging the panel?

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back