• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Will Not Crank after Sitting More than a Day

BumperMan

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys was wondering what you guys think about this, I have noticed that after my GTX sits more than a day I have to pour gas down the carburetor to get it to crack.

Yesterday I ran it for about 20 mins I shut it off then went to crank it back up and it would not turn over. Could this be a fuel pump issue, I replaced the fuel pump went back with a stock fuel pump. I think the fuel pump is currently vapor locked cause I unhooked the gas line at the carburetor and no gas came out of the gas line.

What could cause this and what would u guys recommend I do?

Thank U

Are you saying that it will not turn over by hitting the starter or just that it won't fire until you dump the gas down the carb?

There always seems to be some confusion when people try to understand a no start condition.

Will not crack = My guess would be that the engine spins but the car does not start and run. Pouring gas in the car and getting it to run means that no gas is apparently getting to the carb for a few reasons. You say no gas out the fuel line after removing it from the carb. Is there a fuel filter between the carb and the pump? It could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter. Try removing the inlet line to the fuel pump and have someone crank (try to start) the car. You should feel a suction on the fuel inlet of the pump. If you do, try putting some LIGHT air pressure to the fuel line going to the fuel tank. Take the gas cap off and have someone listen at the fuel filler for the rush of air. CAUTION.... Be sure to use light pressure and also to not have the person listening at the tank to close to the fuel filler inlet. I have seen times that people have done this and gotten a face full of gas that had blown out the filler.

You say in your heading that the car will not CRANK after sitting more then a day. I think you mean that the car will not start as cranking means that the engine turns or spins over and you say you can start it by pouring gas in the carb.

To most, crank means engine turns or spins and many use the phrase "turns over" to mean the car starts. Sometimes we need to clarify in simple terms what is happening. I know that it's that way with me so I understand what someone is talking about. I have been in the mechanical field for a very long time and have always questioned my customers so I know that we are both talking about the same thing.

Keep us posted
Ron

As above.....

"crank" and "turn over" means the starter rotates the engine. Period

"fire" means the engine coughs, tries to start, and MAY keep running

"fire and run" or "run" are obvious.

So far as the problem much of it seems to be "modern fuel" (alky)

But it ALSO may be a vent / pressure problem. Very first thing I'd try is to loosen the cap immediately when arriving in garage, and leave cap loose until trying to start next time. This will confirm whether or not you have a pressure / vacuum problem with tank venting.

As above.....

"crank" and "turn over" means the starter rotates the engine. Period

"fire" means the engine coughs, tries to start, and MAY keep running

"fire and run" or "run" are obvious.

So far as the problem much of it seems to be "modern fuel" (alky)

But it ALSO may be a vent / pressure problem. Very first thing I'd try is to loosen the cap immediately when arriving in garage, and leave cap loose until trying to start next time. This will confirm whether or not you have a pressure / vacuum problem with tank venting.

That will be a good addition of "out of the box" thinking. Good one.

Auto Transport Service
Back