• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Plymouth GTX Rear End

BumperMan

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Guys I removed the rear end out of my GTX last Sunday and I have a couple of questions. I plan on replacing the Wheel Cyclinders, Pinon Seal, and the Axel Seals.

Question 1= Is it easier to just order Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kits or is it better to just replace the Wheel Cylinder its self?

Question 2= I went to purchase the Axle Seal and I was asked is the ring gear 83/4 or 91/4, how do I tell? It has a Dana 60 in it but I could not find any other information on it.

Question 3= Do you guys recommend doing anything else while I have the rear end out?
the rear end. IMG_2781.jpgIMG_2785.jpg

1) Either/or. Rebuild the originals and they fit properly, or buy new, but they might come from China.

2) The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" ring gear. You might have to either specify Dana or Spicer axle.

3) Brakes, change gear oil, etc..

If it worked fine, just do the brakes and wheel cylinders. If the wheel cylinders aren't leaking, why replace them? As far as that goes, if the pinion seal is not leaking, why replace that also?

The ring gear is 9 3/4" and I would think you'd be better off buying new wheel cylinders

1. Just order new wheel cylinders. They're cheap, you save a lot of time and hassle, and they look nice and clean.

2. If you're sure you have a Dana 60 rear end, it's a 9 3/4". It will have a diamond shaped cover on the back. 8 3/4 have a round back that's welded on. 9 1/4 wasn't available in your year of car.

View attachment 161041

Photon440, that was my bad I went back through my notes and I had 93/4 wrote down I don't know where I got 91/4 from. I was watching the Bama game while working on this so evidently I am not a very good multi task person

Rebuilding the W/C is no problem and you keep the factory original Bleeder screws as the replacements are usually smaller in size!
Another thing i would add is self adjusters and cheap and easy to add.

I usually took the self adjusters off too since I drag raced my cars. If you don't back up fast and plow the brakes like my wife does, the self adjusters work pretty good. Also, I like to rebuild my own cylinders IF they are not all pitted etc and years of sitting will usually lay waste to them. Wheel cylinders seem to come from all over the world except for the states and usually have metric bleeders in them or at least take a metric wrench to loosen them. Got one from Italy not too long ago.....

Rebuilding the W/C is no problem and you keep the factory original Bleeder screws as the replacements are usually smaller in size!
Another thing i would add is self adjusters and cheap and easy to add.

X2

There was no need to take it out for any of these repairs. Just saying. Take it to a car wash and blast it clean.

I find it easier and quicker to replace the brake cyl with new or re built ones. Gosh I think they are only $10 at O Reilly for the 8 3/4 rear end on my 69 RR. And that rear end you have is about as heavy duty as you can get from the factory. Hang on to it!

Auto Transport Service
Back