• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69-70 Convertible door

randys4406

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Is there a difference between a hard top door and a convertible door other than the vent and door glass? I have one that is banged up and wondered if it is worth saving. Thanks in advance Randy

There’s also an anti rattle/sag piece on the back of convertible doors that contact a spring mechanism in the door jam. Definitely save this piece if in good shape.

As you mention the vent window assembly is different.

My 70 satellite convertible has an interior belt molding trim piece that runs along the inside of the window on the top of the door that my other b bodies don’t have. Not sure if this is due to trim option differences or convertible specific.

My 70 satellite convertible has an interior belt molding trim piece that runs along the inside of the window on the top of the door that my other b bodies don’t have. Not sure if this is due to trim option differences or convertible spspecific.
Does it look something like this?

20230610_112506.jpg

This is on my 67 Belv II conv. My 67 Satellite hdtp doesn't have that interior trim. I don't remember if my 67 Satellite conv matched the Belv conv or the hdtp so I don't know if the difference is Belv vs Sat or conv vs hdtp, but suspect the latter.

I know this…. The brass door striker, glass/vent and the little triangle brace inside the door (attaches to vent/glass frame divider I think) which is slightly smaller than a hardtop one. I’d save the door. You can convert a hardtop door, but it’s a PIA.
Also, that trim piece on top of the door near the glass is “belt line molding” which is an option for hardtops and standard on convertibles

I know this…. The brass door striker, glass/vent and the little triangle brace inside the door (attaches to vent/glass frame divider I think) which is slightly smaller than a hardtop one. I’d save the door. You can convert a hardtop door, but it’s a PIA.
Also, that trim piece on top of the door near the glass is “belt line molding” which is an option for hardtops and standard on convertibles
Any idea how much smaller ?

Does it look something like this?

View attachment 1696199

This is on my 67 Belv II conv. My 67 Satellite hdtp doesn't have that interior trim. I don't remember if my 67 Satellite conv matched the Belv conv or the hdtp so I don't know if the difference is Belv vs Sat or conv vs hdtp, but suspect the latter.

My 70 satellite convertible looks like your picture for the trim. The trim piece that runs by lock knob at the top of door is not on my 68 hardtop coronet but I do have the stainless belt molding that runs by the outside of the glass.

Years ago, I swapped a hardtop door on my then 70 road runner convertible, I don't recall it being that hard to do. I believe the door shells were the same.

Physically it will bolt right on. However, the door won't close because of the vent window just like others have mentioned already. Definitely save your convert door and transfer all of the stuff to the other one.
I did this on my 69.

Yup.. Door shell is the same, 69 & 70 Plymouth & Dodge B bodies except Charger... All the other stuff your best bet is to reuse the original convertible parts...

After closer examination it appears this door is not worth keeping. None of the internals for the vent window are there. Thanks for all of the comments and information.

DSCF8779.JPG

DSCF8780.JPG

DSCF8781.JPG

DSCF8783.JPG

That's not a convertible door... The convertible wedge was never mounted.. The holes aren't drilled..
801-496_A-3.jpg

Yup.. Door shell is the same, 69 & 70 Plymouth & Dodge B bodies except Charger... All the other stuff your best bet is to reuse the original convertible parts...
Except Charger????Pufffft! Lol

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

About 1”. I cut & re-welded my hardtop one
I looked up the part numbers and they do not list a different piece for a convertible vs. hardtop.

They do however show a mid year change in part numbers (before May 1 or after May 1) but still no distinction between hardtop and vert's. Interesting

I looked up the part numbers and they do not list a different piece for a convertible vs. hardtop.

They do however show a mid year change in part numbers (before May 1 or after May 1) but still no distinction between hardtop and vert's. Interesting
No kidding? I put the glass/tracks from a ‘70 convertible door into a ‘68 hardtop door and the window stuck out about 1”. I couldn’t align it even remotely close until I cut about 1” out of that triangular piece. Now it lines up fine. Something doesn’t add up. Thanks for the info!
I can’t imagine what that change would be mid year????

Are you talking about the piece on the bottom of the glass ? I thought we were talking about the triangle piece that mounts the vent window frame in the very front of the door.

Auto Transport Service
Back