• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 440 engine decode

monroegtx

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
G'day fellas. You've probably had this question a million times before, so I'm hoping you'll know what i'm on about. I know this isn't a numbers match engine for my car but I was hoping to find out what it came from. Going by the numbers and the engine decode websites, I know its from a 1970 car, but I can't find the numbers that are supposed to be near the top of the oil pan under where the starter goes. I've heard that it should have a number starting with PX which pretty much tells you what it came out of. Is it unusual not to have these numbers? I've attached some photo's of just about all the numbers I can find on it. I've included a pic of where I assumed it was supposed to be under where the starter goes, is this the right spot? :eusa_think:
Pass side block.jpg cast numbers.jpg
Top pad.jpg Driver side 2.jpg
Driver close.jpg

The numbers you are looking for are actually on the same surface that the oil pan mounts to, in other words they would be facing the floor in your pics.

The numbers you are looking for are actually on the same surface that the oil pan mounts to, in other words they would be facing the floor in your pics.
Well that explains why I couldn't find 'em. I'll take the pan off and check it out. :VB toast:

Well that explains why I couldn't find 'em. I'll take the pan off and check it out. :VB toast:

They are on the same surface as the pan, but they are not covered by the pan. I didn't have to take the pan off on my car.
Regards,

G'day fellas. You've probably had this question a million times before, so I'm hoping you'll know what i'm on about. I know this isn't a numbers match engine for my car but I was hoping to find out what it came from.....I've heard that it should have a number starting with PX which pretty much tells you what it came out of.

The engine number will just tell you where it was built and the assembly date. At that point in the process, the engine assembly was neutral meaning the assembly could go into a number of different cars at a number of different plants.

The pad tells us the engine was assembled 9/15.

The VIN number will help narrow down what it came out of.

The 0 tells us it came out of a 70 model year car. The G plant code tells us it came from a car built at the St. Louis plant which now limits the options to B bodies as Belvedere (RR/GTX) Coronet (Coronet R/T, Super Bees) and Chargers were built at STL for the 1970 model year.

If the VIN is 0G131773, that would be consistent with a 70 Charger R/T built at the STL plant with a scheduled production date of 925.

Last edited:
The 0 tells us it came out of a 70 model year car. The G plant code tells us it came from a car built at the St. Louis plant which now limits the options to B bodies as Belvedere (RR/GTX) Coronet (Coronet R/T, Super Bees) and Chargers were built at STL for the 1970 model year.

If the VIN is 0G131773, that would be consistent with a 70 Charger R/T built at the STL plant with a scheduled production date of 925.
That's great info mate, thanks.

Well I went down to the storage where my motor is for another look. I lifted it up and couldn't see any numbers. Took the pan off and still nothing. The lights not the best at the storage place but I'll be blowed if I can see 'em. I'm having the motor rebuilt in a couple of months so I'll turn it over and check it proper then. Thanks for the input guys.

What Does That Backwards Letter "C" On The Distributor Boss Pad Designate? I've Heard It Was The Code For A 440 Six-Pack Block And Or Designates Special Crank & Pistons!

I have a 1970 440 six pack engine in a 70 challanger v code ( engine is original to the car) and do not have this "C" on the pad

What Does That Backwards Letter "C" On The Distributor Boss Pad Designate? I've Heard It Was The Code For A 440 Six-Pack Block And Or Designates Special Crank & Pistons!

That is what Govier's white book shows and the info in his books is primarily just a cumulation of info from parts books and dealer info which makes it convenient to find all in a few books. However I have found many mistakes in HIS books as well as in the factory info he gets his info from.

Auto Transport Service
Back