• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi engine paint

Stucat

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
Have to touch up the intake bolts on my 70 Hemi engine. Are there any spray cans that are the correct paint color. I know you can order the correct color for about $100.00, but i haveto just touch up a few bolt heads. Thanks

Have to touch up the intake bolts on my 70 Hemi engine. Are there any spray cans that are the correct paint color. I know you can order the correct color for about $100.00, but i haveto just touch up a few bolt heads. Thanks
What is your Hemi painted with now?

Used all the paint we got from Gibson, need to touch up 6 bolt heads.

Used all the paint we got from Gibson, need to touch up 6 bolt heads.
You can't get a small amount from them? Obviously not or you wouldn't be asking. Can you get the formula for the color? That's a probably not but worth a try. Can you remove a painted part on the engine and have a automotive paint company scan it with their gun and mix up a pint for you? Getting someone elses formula to match what you have might be a tall order so they say.

I believe that scanning requires a flat surface, as in body panel.

Guess that I need to go to your paint shop, mine wanted a flat body panel. Don't believe that I will be driving to Waterloo though!

Guess that I need to go to your paint shop, mine wanted a flat body panel. Don't believe that I will be driving to Waterloo though!
A guy that is good at mixing paint could get pretty close. Probably closer than some other manufacturer's can of engine paint.

Is the 440 paint the same as street Hemi?

Actually found it in a spray can, Hemi Orange on Ebay, like $19.00 a can

For touch up work, Dupli-Color DE1652 Chrysler Hemi Orange is a very, very good match to the original EV2 Dodge Hemi Orange (Plymouth TorRed) color. I can find these locally in auto parts stores, online at Amazon, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1652-Ceramic-Chrysler-Orange/dp/B002969D4C

I made color comparisons some years ago against OEM painted factory trunk hinges, and patches interior protected from years of UV exposure. That was a 1970 Challenger 383-4 in Hemi Orange.

As a bonus, the Dupli-Color stuff is formulated for high heat tolerances as an "Engine Paint."

Back to touching up those bolts, the color may not match an original (50 years old and partly faded) painted orange engine, but could be a great match to a recently repainted one.

Last edited:
That paint I was talking about is also 500 degree paint I used it to touch up the intake bolts and also the thermostat housing gasket and bolts, can't even tell the difference. Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back