• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Road Runner next project

beebest

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
I ended up buying a 70 Road Runner as I was not finding a Super Bee in my budget that didn't require a lot of work. Car was originally burnt orange with burnt orange interior. It's pretty basic, a 383 auto with manual brakes and steering. (that will get changed) Has a 10 year old paint job that I will probably start on next year. I plan on keeping it some form of red. This year, I'll concentrate on mechanicals. Non matching number on engine but transmission matches vin. Haven't done anything to it yet. Car wants to flood very easy on cold start, has holley 80770-1 street avenger carb on it with electric choke. Also has msd ignition. I may change all back to stock if I can't remedy starting issue. I wanted a minor project and now I have one. Other than the paint, body is in decent shape, very solid underneath. Only work appears to be in lower quarters, but looks good. I pulled door cards and zero evidence of any patch work that I can see. Happy with purchase other than starting issue.

IMG_20240805_104155166.jpg

IMG_20240804_145450401.jpg

IMG_20240805_104018950.jpg

IMG_20240805_104129948.jpg

Cool Project! I wish I had kept my 70 V code 4 speed car!

Nice! Looks like a solid start.

Thanks! This makes my 5th Road Runner, wish I had kept my 70 convertible, who knew that they would be worth a small fortune. Had it 40 years ago.

Nice car as-is. Paint looks good from here. Flooding issue should be easy, check float settings, needle and seats then fuel pressure.

Nice car as-is. Paint looks good from here. Flooding issue should be easy, check float settings, needle and seats then fuel pressure.
Thank you! paint has some blemishes up close, plus a little road rash but not terrible. What really bothers me is that previous owner added Plymouth emblem to front of hood like a 68, emblem should be in the grill. Plus side, car is super solid underneath. Going to try and work on flooding issue today, haven't messed with a Holley in years.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a 70 Road Runner as I was not finding a Super Bee in my budget that didn't require a lot of work. Car was originally burnt orange with burnt orange interior. It's pretty basic, a 383 auto with manual brakes and steering. (that will get changed) Has a 10 year old paint job that I will probably start on next year. I plan on keeping it some form of red. This year, I'll concentrate on mechanicals. Non matching number on engine but transmission matches vin. Haven't done anything to it yet. Car wants to flood very easy on cold start, has holley 80770-1 street avenger carb on it with electric choke. Also has msd ignition. I may change all back to stock if I can't remedy starting issue. I wanted a minor project and now I have one. Other than the paint, body is in decent shape, very solid underneath. Only work appears to be in lower quarters, but looks good. I pulled door cards and zero evidence of any patch work that I can see. Happy with purchase other than starting issue.

View attachment 1706268

View attachment 1706269

View attachment 1706270

View attachment 1706271
I have had 3 70 Roadtrunners, I always wondered what it would be like driving an automatic. I bet it is still fun.......nice car

Add a black vinyl top and I basically have the same car, but yours is in better shape at the moment. Congrats!!

1970 GTX had a small Plymouth emblem on left side of hood. Maybe the hood was swapped?

That is one of the best models style wise in 1970.
I have been looking for a stone stock 318 survivor 1970 Belvedere or Satellite for years just for a driver, to no Avail!

That's very possible then, it is a small emblem. I didn't realize GTX had that.
Just looked at pictures of GTX, my car definitely has had a hood swap. I will still change this in the future. Thanks, R413!!!

Thanks! This makes my 5th Road Runner, wish I had kept my 70 convertible, who knew that they would be worth a small fortune. Had it 40 years ago.
Nice project. My 3rd RR is a 70 ragtop bought in 1988. Keeping this one.

Cool Project! I wish I had kept my 70 V code 4 speed car!
Grief is the best way to describe being forced to sell mine. A car I think I'll never have to sell, 10 years of planning, money, and parts/systems go in and on it, and the last step I'm 75% through the Bill Mitchell 572 and BAM!
A few months before I told a friend at a monthly cruise in it was my one material source of joy I could depend on.

Grief is the best way to describe being forced to sell mine. A car I think I'll never have to sell, 10 years of planning, money, and parts/systems go in and on it, and the last step I'm 75% through the Bill Mitchell 572 and BAM!
A few months before I told a friend at a monthly cruise in it was my one material source of joy I could depend on.
I get it, I'm sorry you had to sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back