• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 RR 4 speed starter relay ?

JMCFAN

Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
Needing a starter relay. My car does have the one year only clutch safety switch. Some sites seem to show the one the spade for the switch is for auto trans... confusing. If I use the one with the connection for the switch... it will start in gear correct? Just leave the safety switch disconnected...and be carefull.....lol

If you have a working clutch switch then you will use a relay for the automatic.

Thankyou! That makes sense now. And if switch does not work....then use one for manual trans....and be careful?

Thankyou! That makes sense now. And if switch does not work....then use one for manual trans....and be careful?
You can use the manual switch but the car will start without the clutch pressed down. That only difference is the grounding path. Either through the relay or through the clutch switch.

One more ? To rule out ignition switch.... a meter on the yellow Ign spade will show 12V when key is turned to Start?

Well....wierd...measuring at the spade and try and start....it shows 7 volts... and then briefly....it turned over...and then again nothing Trying the horn sounds like a dead battery... but battery is at 13.5

Car has been fine....

Ignition switch..?

Well....wierd...measuring at the spade and try and start....it shows 7 volts... and then briefly....it turned over...and then again nothing Trying the horn sounds like a dead battery... but battery is at 13.5

Car has been fine....

Ignition switch..?
Clean the connections at the battery. Also test the voltage when trying to start it. A bad battery my just drop right off when under a load.

I thinkyou nailed it. let me run down latest

New batrtery... poste clean...checked anyway
Still horn pretty much dead.. but battely measures 13
Deciced to hook up my rolling batttery charger...set to Start
Engine fired right up.
disconecced.... still fires no prob...

New paint on the whole car... neg battery cable on block...and firewall with relay...

Only ? is how the Battery Charger on high can get it ... extra amperage for a bit?? Just tried agin... 4 hours later... fires right up.

going in with a dremal tomoorow...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back