• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Auto Console brackets location....

Martin Shows

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering up the parts to convert my column shift '71 Satelliite to floor shift. Thus far I've located a nice used console and SlapStik shifter, torque rod and shifter rods. I see that there are several manufacturers of re-pop tunnel brackets, is there a template somewhere or a sketch that give the correct dimensions for installing the brackets? I assume that they would be located from the centerline of the torque rod for correct alignment for the shifter rods?

Thanks,

I did this conversion myself, and there's no markings or indents that show you exactly where the mounts go. What I did was install the shifter to the brackets and connected it to the transmission. Once it was all together, and everything worked smoothly, I first attached the brackets to the floor panels using pop rivets and then had it welded in.

Make sure you also have the bracket that attaches to the transmission and retains the bottom end of the rod that goes through the floor. Once the rod is in that bracket, make sure the rod goes up through the floor straight and through the center of the opening, and that will let you know the front floor bracket is in the right place. Then you'll know exactly where to place the bracket that holds the shifter mechanism.

Last edited:
Make sure you also have the bracket that attaches to the transmission and retains the bottom end of the rod that goes through the floor. Once the rod is in that bracket, make sure the rod goes up through the floor straight and through the center of the opening, and that will let you know the front floor bracket is in the right place. Then you'll know exactly where to place the bracket that holds the shifter mechanism.

MD2541.JPG

And that's if the tranny got the provision for it ( sometimes they don't)

And that's if the tranny got the provision for it ( sometimes they don't)
I've never seen one that doesn't. The 904 in my Roadrunner and the 727 in the Town & Country wagon I used as a doner car, which both were column shift cars, had the mount point for the bracket.

Dunno where come from the ones I have seen without, but I know they exist

I did this conversion myself, and there's no markings or indents that show you exactly where the mounts go. What I did was install the shifter to the brackets and connected it to the transmission. Once it was all together, and everything worked smoothly, I first attached the brackets to the floor panels using pop rivets and then had it welded in.

Thanks for the info, I was pretty sure that the bracket location should be determined by the Torque rod location. I plan to locate them exactly as you describe.

On another note, is there any reason that the brackets can't be bolted in rather than welded? Looks like a few 5/16" grade 8 bolts and lock nuts would be fine, the brackets look to sit flat against the floor pan with enough area to drill and bolt. Thoughts?

On another note, is there any reason that the brackets can't be bolted in rather than welded? Looks like a few 5/16" grade 8 bolts and lock nuts would be fine, the brackets look to sit flat against the floor pan with enough area to drill and bolt. Thoughts?

You could bolt them in, but there's not a lot of clearance between the hump and the trans, which will make using bolts a dicey proposition. That's why I used pop rivets to mount them initially. Much less frustration.

I would weld! There is not a real reason to bolt.
Well, if you don't have a $150 or so to spend on a welding rig, or a couple hundred to have your car towed to a shop and have a welder weld it, but do have $20 to buy a pop rivet gun and some rivets... that's a good reason. :)

Oh, well! That could be a reason! LOL

I thought more on a "practical" reason than financial! LOL.

You could rivet them then take the car to a shop to get them welded thought

I finally got around to mounting my console today. I temporarily pop riveted the brackets into place and took these photos for reference, just in case someone needed measurements in the future.

IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1604.JPG

Looks great! I thought about one of those pistol grip handles, but I've just always had the T-shifter.

Looks great! I thought about one of those pistol grip handles, but I've just always had the T-shifter.

Thanks, I'm really leaning towards installing the T/Handle, the pistol grip just seems a little too tall to me, looks a little out of place. I have a new top inlay and SlapStik glass and bezel but I think the original unit with some wear and tear fits the car better, it's a driver, not show quality.

I had a stock 727 transmission in my 340 roadrunner and it was a column shift. I did this conversion and I can speak from first hand knowledge that not all transmissions have a provision for the floor linkage. I had to buy a new tail shaft housing to get mine to work.

Your console looks great by the way!

Auto Transport Service
Back