• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 charger rear bumper brackets

Sjd556

Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
trying to get rid of the ugly gap in my 73 Charger by switching out the rear bumper brackets to 71, where they didn’t have the filler panels. We’re the brackets in 1971 shorter to remove this gap? Or did they not change between the years. From all the pictures I can find they look almost identical but if they are in fact shorter I’ll need to be getting some from 71(also if anyone has these for sale and I do end up needing them that would be greatly appreciated!)

yes, they are shorter... it uses to be a tipical "upgrade".

in front the only way is some mods on existant frame rail brackets elongating the holes

The fronts are already done, just needed to know if the tears were different, but good to know, now if anyone has a set for sale , that would be great!

Check a few other threads. I believe there was a discussion on this and the electrical connectors for the taillights on the 73-74 were in back versus on the bottom like 71-72. Might need to alter or change that. Just can't find the thread that talked about it.

I have a 71/72 rear bracket set I could get rid off BUT I'm In Spain at this moment and brackets are at home in Vzla. Will arrive back in a month and a half

Check a few other threads. I believe there was a discussion on this and the electrical connectors for the taillights on the 73-74 were in back versus on the bottom like 71-72. Might need to alter or change that. Just can't find the thread that talked about it.

is true but doesn't affect in anything. Brackets are virtually the same except the deepness/lenght

Last edited:
Can you weld ? Cut your old brackets in the middle take a little out of the center and re weld

Can you weld ? Cut your old brackets in the middle take a little out of the center and re weld

Not quite that easy.

Once you remove the material the angle no longer works to rejoin them.

Maybe if you fabricate in a flat bar to weld each half to....

Not quite that easy.

Once you remove the material the angle no longer works to rejoin them.

Maybe if you fabricate in a flat bar to weld each half to....
I cut and rewelded mine. it takes a series of cuts and welds, but it is rather easy. it's best to mock it and tack weld each side in place on the car and then take it apart for finish weld. the angled pieces will overlap as they get shorter and can be reattached together

Auto Transport Service
Back