• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX - Jay Leno’s Garage

69L48Z27

Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
New video from Leno. You have to check out the shop teacher, hope I'm going that strong at 80!

Enjoy

I've been a subscriber of his channel for years. I suspect I'm not alone here in that.

4500lbs gtx... floors a lined with lead!

Jay, Jay, Jay..........

Do you not know the B body is the competitor for the chevelle and fairlane?
They are very similarly sized.

Are you not familiar with the Mopar C body?

...and for the owner- 1967, not 1968 was the first year, and 1971 was NOT he last big block 440.
Doubtful a California car would have been delivered with tips.

...and for both of you- it's "Hemi orange"

Grabber Orange? Cmon Jay... and the owner called it posi-traction rear

Yes, yes, there are several factual inaccuracies in the episode.
Looked right past them at what the emphasis actually was - the 80 year old shop teacher.
Jay has always been all about the stories associated with the cars and this one is a doozy.

Before delivery, the Plymouth dealer installed an ARA custom-fit knee knocker A/C system on my parents new '71 Road Runner with factory air grabber. Obviously, the aftermarket compressor was mounted lower than the factory compressor would have been.

I studied auto shop in the high school California ROP (Regional Occupation Program) in 1972-73 mentioned in the video. Performed tune-ups, brake service, got yelled at once for writing wash me in the dust on the trunk of a "donor" car (well, one brought in by the public for us to work/learn on.

I love the stories too. Another inaccuracy I noted right off was the 2800 price tag on a 71. A GTX optioned like that would push 4000 if not a little more. I know the Mopar inaccuracies pretty well, but with the GM and Ford stuff I wouldn't know and could get embarrassed by repeating them.

4500lbs gtx... floors a lined with lead!

Not sure if it is quite that heavy, but the '71 and up B-body cars are heavy. Floors had that thick tar type sound proofing under the carpet and I think the doors have crash bars in them, but the bumpers on these cars are real heavy compared to the earlier B-bodies.
That car had a strange exhaust sound, almost like an exhaust leak or something?

It’s missing the wheel well moldings, and side stripe, bumpers are painted but not rubber bumpers, and exhaust tips were not available in ca.

Really cool story- Jay was a total class act with the teacher. That guy was great, and the car owner is to be thanked for letting his teacher steal the show.

On the other hand, there were definitely some cringeworthy moments. While a great looking car, it was tough to hear the (obviously proud) owner make so many inaccurate comments And to keep referring to the car as “original”was odd. Why boast of spending $200 on door medallions and then put that shifter in? Anyone notice the blacked out alternator? Is that a new thing? The owner says the rear spoiler is factory, but it doesn’t curve back like the factory ones did in ‘71, which leads me to believe front and rear spoilers have the same origins as the hood. The car is certainly nice, but I suspect upon closer inspection many of us would characterize it as “restified”. Who knows what mysteries would be revealed by the fender tag.

Great show nonetheless. Thanks Jay.

One question for the group: could you get that chrome trim along the top of the doors without a vinyl top?
Yes, the belt molding was standard equipment on the GTX. So were wheel well moldings.

Really cool story- Jay was a total class act with the teacher. That guy was great, and the car owner is to be thanked for letting his teacher steal the show.
On the other hand, there were definitely some cringeworthy moments. While a great looking car, it was tough to hear the (obviously proud) owner make so many inaccurate comments And to keep referring to the car as “original”was odd. Why boast of spending $200 on door medallions and then put that shifter in? Anyone notice the blacked out alternator? Is that a new thing? The owner says the rear spoiler is factory, but it doesn’t curve back like the factory ones did in ‘71, which leads me to believe front and rear spoilers have the same origins as the hood. The car is certainly nice, but I suspect upon closer inspection many of us would characterize it as “restified”. Who knows what mysteries would be revealed by the fender tag.
Great show nonetheless. Thanks Jay.
I put the emphasis on the important parts of your post and am in total agreement. :thumbsup:
The rest, we all know already. Pretty blah blah stuff to me, really - but all three gentlemen love the cars and have done a ton of good for both the cars and the hobby in general, so they get a pass from me.

Jay, Jay, Jay..........

Do you not know the B body is the competitor for the chevelle and fairlane?
They are very similarly sized.

Are you not familiar with the Mopar C body?

...and for the owner- 1967, not 1968 was the first year, and 1971 was NOT he last big block 440.
Doubtful a California car would have been delivered with tips.

...and for both of you- it's "Hemi orange"
But thats what happens when you have to much money. The details and facts are overlooked when someone else does all the work. :)

I like Jay's shows

he may not know all, about MoPars
but IMO he knows a hell a lot more about most all cars
then 75% of the car crowd

the owner is ill-informed he should know more
'being the owner of it'
possi-traction 3.55, he's obviously not a MoPar guy either

If it had cruise control he would have called it that, rather then what chrysler used to refer as speed control.

I like Jay's show, too.

"limited slip" if you're not sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back