• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Hideaway headlight Door Issue

Flash

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
I have been tackling various hideaway headlights issues I have had on my 72 and here is the list of work previously done.

-Replaced headlight switch and dimmer switch as both were melted.
-Installed @Crackedback headlight harness
-Replaced under dash headlight relay

After I installed Crackedback headlight harness the hideaway doors opened and would not close after turning off the switch.

Next step I tried is installing a replacement Bosch relay.

Am I wiring it correctly? Is this the correct Bosch relay. I have it grounded at the steering column ground.

Lights both work but doors will not open or close.

Any other suggestions?

Screenshot_20240722-122126.png

PXL_20240722_161717813.jpg

FB_IMG_1721664833924.jpg

Does your door motor open and close manually using knob on bottom? Have you checked the cam and gears in the motor? Take the rods out and watch the movement. It should open and stop. Then reverse when turned off.

Does your door motor open and close manually using knob on bottom? Have you checked the cam and gears in the motor? Take the rods out and watch the movement. It should open and stop. Then reverse when turned off.
Appreciate the reply

Forgot to mention before installing the headlight harness, the hideaway doors worked as normal. Reason I installed the harness is to get the headlight directly powered from the alternator.

Hideaway motor was rebuilt recently and turns manually. Everything feels smooth when moving manually.

Appreciate the reply

Forgot to mention before installing the headlight harness, the hideaway doors worked as normal. Reason I installed the harness is to get the headlight directly powered from the alternator.

Hideaway motor was rebuilt recently and turns manually. Everything feels smooth when moving manually.
Was worth a shot. I didn't use a purchased harness when I added relays.

This is not the first time I read about some headlights door issue after the headlight relay upgrade. Somebody in the past suggested is because the headlights load is required to make the doors work, which is not true. The doors should work even without lights installed (like they were blown and needing to be serviced, so need to open doors and turn off the ign key to keep doors open while replacing). They are separated systems on diff relays.

In fact, when turning off there is no load to make them work to close, so that confirm no lights load are required.

Have you checked the doors relay is actually switching between 87 and 87A when turning lights on and off?. If does, everything points out straight to the motor itself. Contact failures into the points and gear internal assembly. Or harness issue. Check for voltage at the motor side of the harness.

Last edited:
I did the "Crackedback" relay deal a few years back in my '70 Charger.

Headlight relays on a car with concealed headlights

In short, my concealed lamp relay was leaking trace voltage which served to trigger the headlight doors in a weird way.
The thread is like all of the ones I start...it runs a bit long but has some useful information among a lot of chatter.

I think I may have identified the issue for him via emails. I haven't been around much since my health issue deal.

The relay he needs for the doors is 87/87a ouput configuration. The one he appears to have purchased is 87/87 output. I think once he has the correct relay in hand, things should clear up.

Sorry for taking a bit to get back to the OP.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back